The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Board

Guest Sandra Schaack

I am a director on our board for our community association and we have found that the Executive Board, President, Secretary, Treasurer, Vice President are making decisions without the approval from the entire board. When questioned we are told that these decisions are made because they always seem to be a "time issue". Another issue we have just recently encountered is with our Grievance Committee. A month ago we had a community member submit a request to join the Grievance Committee. This member's son is part of our Public Safety. We had stated that we thought it was a direct conflict. We had also asked the attorney and he also stated that it would be a direct conflict. This month, the Executive Board brought it back to the directors indicating that this member just recently purchased property because she wanted to be part of the Grievance Committee and they felt as long as she didn't sit on a grievance that involved her son that it would be fine. The attorney has now changed his position and agrees with them. Upon further review, I have now found out that this individual purchased this "property" from our association. The papers were signed by our President, witnessed by an employee and the Notary signature belongs to our Treasurer. What can we do? Please help.

I am a director on our board for our community association and we have found that the Executive Board, President, Secretary, Treasurer, Vice President are making decisions without the approval from the entire board. When questioned we are told that these decisions are made because they always seem to be a "time issue".

If a majority of the board agrees with this subset of people, then no matter how unauthorized the action, the board will ratify most anything after the fact.

So, in such a case, there is little one can do.

If a majority of the board disagrees, then the solution is easy - get rid of your P., Sec., Tr., VP.

Don't ratify the unauthorized actions.

Another issue we have just recently encountered is with our Grievance Committee.

A month ago we had a community member submit a request to join the Grievance Committee.

This member's son is part of our Public Safety.

We had stated that we thought it was a direct conflict.

We had also asked the attorney and he also stated that it would be a direct conflict.

"We"?

Q. Who is this "we"?

This month, the Executive Board brought it back to the directors indicating that this member just recently purchased property because she wanted to be part of the Grievance Committee and they felt as long as she didn't sit on a grievance that involved her son that it would be fine.

Huh?

"Hey, guys! I don't sit on Committee X, so I bought a hotel in Las Vegas!"

Q. What has

(a.) not sitting on a committee;

got to do with

(b.) buying property?

The attorney has now changed his position and agrees with them.

Upon further review, I have now found out that this individual purchased this "property" from our association.

The papers were signed by our President, witnessed by an employee and the Notary signature belongs to our Treasurer.

What can we do?

Q. What is the problem?

Q. Who is at fault?

Q. What rule was violated?

What has any of this property-buying got to do with Robert's Rules of Order?

Archived