The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting without discussion

Guest james

At a recent meeting a Nominations Committee report was presented that if adopted confirmed the nominations of several individuals to a Board of Directors. Since no official announcement of these candidates was made prior to the report and the by laws of the organization allow for floor nominations I planned to offer a floor nomination in the discussion following the motion to accept. The vote went forward rapidly without the opportunity for discussion. I quickly raised an objection. A discussion followed with another vote to reopen the motion asking for a 2/3 majority however my contention is that the original vote was improper and not valid. I wish to ask for this vote to be rescinded and would like clarification on the rules that apply. Thank you

At a recent meeting a Nominations Committee report was presented that if adopted confirmed the nominations of several individuals to a Board of Directors.

The report of the nominating committee shouldn't be adopted. The committee is tasked with nominating persons to an office. The committee's nominations require no approval by the assembly.

Since no official announcement of these candidates was made prior to the report

The report is the announcement.

and the by laws of the organization allow for floor nominations I planned to offer a floor nomination in the discussion following the motion to accept.

After the report of the nominating committee, the chair must call for further nominations from the floor. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 421, l. 6-10.

The vote went forward rapidly without the opportunity for discussion.

The chair must call for nominations and these nominations are debatable.

I quickly raised an objection. A discussion followed with another vote to reopen the motion asking for a 2/3 majority however my contention is that the original vote was improper and not valid.

You simply don't vote on the nominating committee report, and even if you did, it would only give you nominees. You have to hold an election, before anyone is elected. Do your bylaws call for elections to be by ballot?

I wish to ask for this vote to be rescinded and would like clarification on the rules that apply. Thank you

What is it that you wish to rescind? An election? Was there an election?

The report of the nominating committee shouldn't be adopted. The committee is tasked with nominating persons to an office. The committee's nominations require no approval by the assembly.

The report is the announcement.

After the report of the nominating committee, the chair must call for further nominations from the floor. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 421, l. 6-10.

The chair must call for nominations and these nominations are debatable.

You simply don't vote on the nominating committee report, and even if you did, it would only give you nominees. You have to hold an election, before anyone is elected. Do your bylaws call for elections to be by ballot?

What is it that you wish to rescind? An election? Was there an election?

Yes the adoption of the nominating committee report is deemed an election to office although i must check the by laws for clarification. I am asking for a rescision of the vote to accept the report and subsequent election. If the bylaws do not require a specific election I will ask for that change at the next meeting.

Yes the adoption of the nominating committee report is deemed an election to office although i must check the by laws for clarification.

This is an odd way of doing things. It's certainly a deviation from common parliamentary law.

I am asking for a rescision of the vote to accept the report and subsequent election.

You can't rescind an election, except for misconduct or dereliction of duty on the part of the elected officer. It's still not clear to me that you had an election, though. One would want to examine the bylaws to see what exactly happened at this meeting.

If the bylaws do not require a specific election I will ask for that change at the next meeting.

Check for a requirement of notice for bylaw amendments. You may be able to give sufficient notice before the next meeting, so you can actually amend the bylaws at the next meeting. For an example of what the bylaw article on officers should look like, see RONR(10th ed.), p. 566, l. 30 - 567, l. 22. For help on drafting it, see RONR(10th ed.), p. 555, l. 18 - p. 557, l. 26.

Thanks for the replies. Do any of you have a quick reference to the rule which states that discussion must be allowed following a motion and second?? Thanks

There is no such rule for all motions (some aren't debatable), but there certainly is for nominations (which, by the way, do not require a second).

Archived