The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions and amendments

gregory

Our Union bylaws requres that any motion made at a meeting will not be voted on until the next meeting. (I know, it's crazy).

Anyway, the question is. If a main motion is made and it has two amended motions attached to it,

but later the main motion is ruled out of order after the meeting is over. Do the two amended

motions still exist? Is there any reason the membership would not be allowed to vote on the two amended motions?

Please cite a page in RONR if possible, I'll have to use this info to enforce RONR.

I think that will depend on how the "amended motions" are attached. And I'm not sure what you mean by "amended motions." If you mean that there were two proposals to amend the main motion that were pending (two? how?), then I would guess they're as dead as the main motion. If you have some other mechanism in mind, what is it? -- And note that it is probably not in harmony with Robert's Rules, so we might not be able to help you here. (This is probably in Section 12, about the motion to amend, but sorry, it's almost 2 AM. Maybe someone else will chime in, or I might be coherent in the morning.)

And note that RONR does not support making rulings outside of the meetings. If you're following RONR, the ruling didn't officially happen. (This might be implicit in Section 23, on points of order, since it discusses rulings being made ONLY during meetings.)

Our Union bylaws requres that any motion made at a meeting will not be voted on until the next meeting. (I know, it's crazy).

Anyway, the question is. If a main motion is made and it has two amended motions attached to it,

but later the main motion is ruled out of order after the meeting is over. Do the two amended

motions still exist? Is there any reason the membership would not be allowed to vote on the two amended motions?

Please cite a page in RONR if possible, I'll have to use this info to enforce RONR.

Along with Gary c Tesser, I'm wondering how a "ruling" can occur after a meeting is over. Once the meeting adjourns, all you have is people saying stuff.

It sounds like you are referring to a motion which has been amended twice, but is still pending. (I don't see how you could have two still-pending amendments, unless the second one was an amendment to the first.)

Anyway, in whatever condition it was at the end of the last meeting, it should come up under Unfinished Business during the next meeting.

If the chair wants to rule the motion out of order at that point, he could do so, and explain the reason(s) for the ruling. But the ruling would then be subject to an Appeal (§24).

If the motion was out of order, I have to wonder why it wasn't so ruled as soon as it was introduced. And if it was one of the amendments that made it out of order, then the amendment should have been so ruled as soon as it was offered. It would be poor chairmanship indeed to declare a motion out of order after having permitted it to be amended into such a condition, just as it is poor chairmanship to attempt to make rulings on the stairs after the meeting.

Our Union bylaws requires that any motion made at a meeting will not be voted on until the next meeting. (I know, it's crazy).

If a main motion is made and it has two amended motions attached to it,

but later the main motion is ruled out of order after the meeting is over,

do the two amended motions still exist?

Is there any reason the membership would not be allowed to vote on the two amended motions?

Impossible to back up your customized rule with a page citation from RONR.

Once you create your own rule, you create an ambiguity (sometimes) as to how close, or how different, your customized rule is meant to be applied.

There is more than one way of handling amendments once you insert an arbitrary delay between direct (same meeting) processing.

Which of those ways shall be YOUR way?

I don't know.

It sounds like a great rule.

MEMBER 1: I move to recess for twenty minutes.

MEMBER 2: Second.

CHAIR: It is moved and seconded to recess for twenty minutes. The question will be put to a vote at the next meeting.

Archived