The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting without Notice

Guest F.R.Pond

Many organizations have a bylaw pertaining to giving notice for regular and special meetings.

If an assembly has a meeting (duly called with proper notice), goes through its business and then adjourns and immediately after which one member says, "Oh, we forgot to decide to paint the barn red or blue," can another meeting be convened, since no notice was given for this "second" meeting (but all members present at the original meeting are still present and willing to address the barn painting issue)? I suspect not, but I just thought I'd ask.

Many organizations have a bylaw pertaining to giving notice for regular and special meetings.

If an assembly has a meeting (duly called with proper notice), goes through its business and then adjourns and immediately after which one member says, "Oh, we forgot to decide to paint the barn red or blue," can another meeting be convened, since no notice was given for this "second" meeting (but all members present at the original meeting are still present and willing to address the barn painting issue)? I suspect not, but I just thought I'd ask.

You suspect right. The declaration by the chair that the meeting is adjourned (or stands adjourned) ends the meeting, after which no further business can be transacted. There is one exception on p. 232, ll. 4-11, that does not apply to this situation. See RONR (10th ed.), §21, pp. 225ff.

The rights of those members, present or not, who expect the rules to be obeyed.

It sets a bad example and (choose your metaphor) creates a slippery slope and lets the camel's nose under the tent.

I concur. If adjourn doesn't mean adjourn two minutes after it's announced, what about fifteen minutes, then tomorrow morning, then next week, then "most votes around here are pretty informal; we do them whenever," then, "why is the new member so insistent on transacting business in a meeting? We don't do it that way." (Was that the slope or the camel's nose?)

Archived