The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum Rules

Guest Karl B

Can the minutes of the previous meeting be read, moved, second, and approved? Can a member who left his name stand to fill a vacant Trustee position be voted on and accepted or can the member take the position without a membership vote? Can bills be paid that were already approved by the Trustees?

Can the minutes of the previous meeting be read, moved, second, and approved? Can a member who left his name stand to fill a vacant Trustee position be voted on and accepted or can the member take the position without a membership vote? Can bills be paid that were already approved by the Trustees?

No, none of these things can be done without a quorum (except, perhaps, the paying of bills, as long as that doesn't require the approval of the assembly).

There's precious little that can be done without a quorum.

No business can be transacted in the absence of a quorum. Only four types of motion are allowed in an inquorate meeting.

1) You can create another meeting by use of the motion Fix the Time To Which to Adjourn. See RONR(10th ed.), Section 22.

2) You can Adjourn.

3) You can Recess.

4) You can take measures to obtain a quorum.

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 336-337.

Can the minutes of the previous meeting be read, moved, second, and approved?

No. Also, the reading and approval of minutes does not require a motion or a second, as it should handled in accordance with the procedure outlined on p. 343-344 of RONR(10th ed.).

Can a member who left his name stand to fill a vacant Trustee position be voted on and accepted

No.

or can the member take the position without a membership vote?

That's highly unlikely. Your bylaws should prescribe the manner in which vacancies in an office are filled. If they don't, the appointing power would fill it, notice being required. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 557, l. 16-19.

Although, I have to say I don't understand your pet peeve against them. Perhaps, you could elaborate.

It's not so much a pet peeve (though it could easily become one) as it is a sense of bewilderment. If, a minute after I post a reply, I think of something else, or a better way to say what I said, I use the "Edit" button. Other than that, I can't imagine why I would post a second reply which essentially repeats what I said in my first reply.

But that's just me. There are certainly others on this forum for whom more is definitely more. As the great Bill Staines put it, "all God's critters got a place in the choir".

No business can be transacted in the absence of a quorum.....

No....

No....

I'm afraid these Wynn-Wynn posts are getting out of hand.

And a pattern I've been noticing lately is the Wynn-Wynn-HWM triplet, in which Mr. Mountcastle takes the time to point out that the previous two posts have the same author, whose name happens to lend itself to mildly humorous repetition. Followed in this thread by yet another self-referencing W-W-M triplet, just for good measure. One hopes the eruption will not be too virulent <_< as the humor gets milder each time around (IMO).

And a pattern I've been noticing lately is the Wynn-Wynn-HWM triplet, in which Mr. Mountcastle takes the time to point out that the previous two posts have the same author, whose name happens to lend itself to mildly humorous repetition. Followed in this thread by yet another self-referencing W-W-M triplet, just for good measure. One hopes the eruption will not be too virulent <_< as the humor gets milder each time around (IMO).

I don't think Mr. Mountcastle meant for the latest addition to be humorous in nature. :(

I'll try to stop agitating him, but I won't go so far as to change my last name. :P

Archived