The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Cancellation

Guest Reggie Reagan

Our rules require a 10 day notice for a meeting. Our chairman recently discovered he will have opposition for his election in December. The only scheduled meeting before that has been cancelled with a 4 day notice, even though our rules require a 10 day meeting notice. Does that mean that a meeting cancellation must have same notice? Are constitution, by-laws and standing rules are silent on the issue of cancellation.

This meeting is important because the committee expects many new members. This cancellation is to prevent these new members from joining and having a vote in the elections (email proof of this). By-laws require that the first order of business for the meeting where we have elections is the election of President.

I feel this is grossly unfair to these new members, and quite honestly would look forward to new membership. Other than a grievance filed with the overseeing organization, what are my options?

Does that mean that a meeting cancellation must have same notice?

There is no provision in RONR for cancelling a meeting.

So hold the meeting as scheduled. It doesn't matter if the chairman is absent. As as long as you have a quorum (i.e. enough members present) you can do what you have to do.

Our rules require a 10 day notice for a meeting. Our chairman recently discovered he will have opposition for his election in December. The only scheduled meeting before that has been cancelled with a 4 day notice, even though our rules require a 10 day meeting notice. Does that mean that a meeting cancellation must have same notice? Are constitution, by-laws and standing rules are silent on the issue of cancellation.

There is no such thing as meeting cancellation -- in other words, the meeting is still on.

This meeting is important because the committee expects many new members. This cancellation is to prevent these new members from joining and having a vote in the elections (email proof of this). By-laws require that the first order of business for the meeting where we have elections is the election of President.

I feel this is grossly unfair to these new members, and quite honestly would look forward to new membership. Other than a grievance filed with the overseeing organization, what are my options?

No grievance necessary. Just show up at the meeting (wouldn't hurt to let plenty of people know ahead of time that the 'cancellation' is invalid, so that your chances of getting a quorum are better), and conduct business. If you're missing a presiding officer, just elect a chair 'pro tem' -- someone to carry out the functions of chair for that meeting.

There is no such thing as meeting cancellation -- in other words, the meeting is still on.

No grievance necessary. Just show up at the meeting (wouldn't hurt to let plenty of people know ahead of time that the 'cancellation' is invalid, so that your chances of getting a quorum are better), and conduct business. If you're missing a presiding officer, just elect a chair 'pro tem' -- someone to carry out the functions of chair for that meeting.

If you're missing a presiding officer, just elect a chair 'pro tem' -- someone to carry out the functions of chair for that meeting.

It'll be good experience for the president. He needs to get used to meetings being conducted without him in the chair.

Also, Reggie Reagan, your vice president, if you have one, would fill in if the president fails to show. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 436-437 for the details of the temporary chair that Trina mentioned.

[i fit all that into one post... and I feel no sense of accomplishment.]

Archived