The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion on moratorium of topic

Guest Sandra W

A group of members of my church continue to call for the resignation of our minister at special and regular business meetings, which is very disruptive to regular church business. Assuming the minister is affirmed (again) at the next business meeting, can I make a motion to not address the issue again until after the minister's annual performance evaluation which occurs in 9 months? If so, how should be motion be worded and what is the reference in Robert's Rules that allows the motion?

A group of members of my church continue to call for the resignation of our minister at special and regular business meetings, which is very disruptive to regular church business. Assuming the minister is affirmed (again) at the next business meeting, can I make a motion to not address the issue again until after the minister's annual performance evaluation which occurs in 9 months? If so, how should be motion be worded and what is the reference in Robert's Rules that allows the motion?

No. A repeatedly-rejected main motion can be renewed at each session. Note, however, that only business included in the call of a special meeting can be transacted at that meeting.

A group of members of my church continue to call for the resignation of our minister at special

Only business mentioned in the call of a special meeting can be transacted in a special meeting.

and regular business meetings, which is very disruptive to regular church business.

Assuming such a motion is properly introduced as a motion "that the minister be requested to resign," it has a time and place and can easily be disposed of, especially if two thirds oppose its consideration. See RONR(10th ed.), section 26.

Assuming the minister is affirmed (again) at the next business meeting,

A motion to confirm a decision of the assembly is not in order.

can I make a motion to not address the issue again until after the minister's annual performance evaluation which occurs in 9 months?

Your best bet is to handle the motion swiftly, without allowing any disruption. I suspect the effect of disrupting the meeting is fueling the fire. If this group sees their motion effortlessly rejected, they just might give it a rest.

A special rule of order could be adopted on the subject, however there can still be disruption as they move to suspend it or rescind it... or violate it.

Assuming the minister is affirmed (again) at the next business meeting . . .

A motion to confirm a decision of the assembly is not in order.

I think Ms. W may be suggesting that defeating the motion to call for the resignation affirms support for the minister. There was no suggestion of a motion to confirm.

I think Ms. W may be suggesting that defeating the motion to call for the resignation affirms support for the minister. There was no suggestion of a motion to confirm.

Oh! Well, I usually see what I want to see... until later corrected. I envisioned Ms. W's assembly taking a vote to confirm the minister, since he was "called into question."

Archived