The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ex-officio

Guest kurtis

as an ex-officio member of a board are you to be included in all discussions in a meeting and out of a meeting. like emails and conference calls>

In a meeting, yes. See FAQ #2.

RONR has little to say about what goes on outside of a meeting.

But a member is a member is a member, regardless of their path to membership.

as an ex-officio member of a board are you to be included in all discussions in a meeting and out of a meeting. like emails and conference calls>

Unless your bylaws or other governing documents specifcally state otherwise, an ex-officio member of an organization/board has all of the rights, responsibilities, duties as any other member, except that the membership of an individual who is such a member terminiates if they cease to be in the category that gives the membership.

Unless your bylaws or other governing documents specifcally state otherwise, an ex-officio member of an organization/board has all of the rights, responsibilities, duties as any other member, except that the membership of an individual who is such a member terminiates if they cease to be in the category that gives the membership.

our bylaws state that " the exalted ruler be an ex-officio member of the board of trustees without vote" i however have been excluded for emails concerning important business is this in order>

our bylaws state that " the exalted ruler be an ex-officio member of the board of trustees without vote" i however have been excluded for emails concerning important business is this in order>

I'm afraid you'll have to figure out what your peculiar rules mean. It appears you may not be as exalted as you think.

As an ex-officio member of a board,

are you to be included in all discussions in a meeting and out of a meeting,

like e-mails and conference calls?

Not outside. - Those things OUTSIDE of a meeting are not controlled by a parliamentary rule.

WITHIN a meeting - I doubt there are "e-mails" of any meaning.

Are you e-mailing DURING a meeting?

Are you using conference calls OUTSIDE of a properly called meeting?

Our bylaws state that "the exalted ruler be an ex-officio member of the board of trustees without vote."

I however have been excluded for e-mails concerning important business.

Is this in order?

Yes. It is in order; or rather, no rule is violated when e-mails are sent privately, outside of a meeting context.

I ought to say, "it is neither in-order nor out-of-order" since the action is taking place OUTSIDE of a properly called meeting. - No parliamentary rule is involved.

Assuming you have a right to attend, other members wouldn't be violating any rules in RONR simply by discussing business outside of a meeting without your participation. They cannot transact business outside a meeting, though.

Archived