The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting to accept budget WITHOUT debate/discussion

lutus

My church runs its meetings according to Robert's Rules. A change has been made (with no vote or discussion) and I am uncertain as to whether it is allowed according to Robert's Rules. Below you will a summation of what is going to take place:

Nov 3 - The stewardship committee (budget) will be available to answer questions for a period of 3 hours in a small room where you trickle in and out.

Nov 10 - The church body will have a large meeting where the budget will be voted on for acceptance. BUT there will be NO discussion and NO debate prior to the vote. The reasoning given is because all questions were to be asked the week previous.

This does not seem right but I do not know exactly where in Robert's Rules that this is addressed. Any help is appreciated.

BUT there will be NO discussion and NO debate prior to the vote. The reasoning given is because all questions were to be asked the week previous.

Sez who?

Ask the people who are restricting the members' right to debate the motion where they get the authority to do what they think they're doing.

Nov 3 - The stewardship committee (budget) will be available

to answer questions for a period of 3 hours in a small room

where you trickle in and out.

Nov 10 - The church body will have a large meeting where the budget

will be voted on for acceptance. BUT there will be NO discussion and

NO debate prior to the vote. The reasoning given is because all questions

were to be asked the week previous.

This does not seem right but I do not know exactly where in Robert's Rules that this is addressed.

"Nov 3" - nothing wrong with that.

"Nov 10" - this is very much contrary to Robert's Rules of Order.

"The reasoning given is because all questions were to be asked the week previous."

That's fine, noble reasoning.

But it still violates Robert's Rules of Order.

No one can pre-empt debate merely by writing it down on a posted schedule (i.e., your Nov. 3 and Nov. 10 notes).

Archived