The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Moderator amend docket

Guest J Holst

Hi,

The most obvious way for a Moderator to amend a proposed docket before it its adopted would be to simply draw up another proposed docket. However, if the proposed docket has already been circulated how can the moderator amend the proposed docket? I ought to add that the amendment would not result in a change to the substance being deliberated, it would merely improve the orderly running of the meeting. Can the moderator, prior to the modification or adoption of prop. docket, simply declare from the chair that "Item 4 is now Item 2 and all other items there after are moved on one number." ?

Thanks for any advice,

Jonathan

Hi,

The most obvious way for a Moderator to amend a proposed docket before it its adopted would be to simply draw up another proposed docket. However, if the proposed docket has already been circulated how can the moderator amend the proposed docket? I ought to add that the amendment would not result in a change to the substance being deliberated, it would merely improve the orderly running of the meeting. Can the moderator, prior to the modification or adoption of prop. docket, simply declare from the chair that "Item 4 is now Item 2 and all other items there after are moved on one number." ?

Thanks for any advice,

Jonathan

The presiding officer "...should, of all the members, have the least to say upon the substance of pending questions." RONR (10th ed.), p. 440, ll. 3-5.

Hi,

The most obvious way for a Moderator to amend a proposed docket before it its adopted would be to simply draw up another proposed docket.

However, if the proposed docket has already been circulated how can the moderator amend the proposed docket?

I ought to add that the amendment would not result in a change to the substance being deliberated, it would merely improve the orderly running of the meeting.

Q. Can the moderator, prior to the modification or adoption of prop. docket, simply declare from the chair that "Item 4 is now Item 2 and all other items there after are moved on one number."?

I am not sure you are referring to what I think you are referring to.

The word "docket" never appears within the 700+ pages of RONR (10th ed. 2000).

Q. Do you mean, "agenda"? Do you mean, "order of business"? Do you mean, "orders of the day"?

Q. Who is the author of this so-called docket? Where did it come from? Does the fact that someone drafted a docket somehow make the docket authentic and authoritative?

"It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven

upon the place beneath."

- Shakespeare

Archived