The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum

Ray Morse

Our by-laws speak of "..2/3 of voting members present at any general meeting shall constitute a quorum." What argument do I use to convince

our membership that a quorum of 2/3 of those present is ilogical and that a quorum of everyone that showed up is a better quorum. How about

how small a quorum can get using that formula before the members are uncomfortable with a few making policy for the many?

Our by-laws speak of "..2/3 of voting members present at any general meeting shall constitute a quorum." What argument do I use to convince

our membership that a quorum of 2/3 of those present is ilogical and that a quorum of everyone that showed up is a better quorum. How about

how small a quorum can get using that formula before the members are uncomfortable with a few making policy for the many?

Your understanding of what is a quorum is correct. The bylaw is nonsense unless the meaning of "quorum" is completely changed from its correct and common definition. Take a look at RONR (10th ed.), §40, pp. 334ff. Education is the only answer to convincing the other members.

What argument do I use to convince our membership that a quorum of 2/3 of those present is ilogical and that a quorum of everyone that showed up is a better quorum.

There is no good argument. A quorum of everyone who shows up makes no more sense than a quorum of two-thirds of those present.

In any event, your goal should not be to make the quorum as small as it can be, but as large as it can be.

Your organization will need to decide what makes sense as a quorum for your organization.

However, I am looking at your citation

"..2/3 of voting members present at any general meeting shall constitute a quorum "

and this may not be the complete nonsense alleged. It depends on where you pause and/or where a comma may be missing, etc.

If you read this " 2/3 of [imply ALL VOTING MEMBERS OF THE ORGANIZATION] voting members [PAUSE, imply WHO ARE] present any general meeting shall constitute a quorum." I infer that your organization may have "voting members" and some other category or categories of members. To me, it is not much of a stretch to interpret your citation to mean that if you have at least 2/3 of all the voting members of the organizationat a meeting, then you have a quorum.

Your organization will need to decide what makes sense as a quorum for your organization.

However, I am looking at your citation

"..2/3 of voting members present at any general meeting shall constitute a quorum "

and this may not be the complete nonsense alleged. It depends on where you pause and/or where a comma may be missing, etc.

If you read this " 2/3 of [imply ALL VOTING MEMBERS OF THE ORGANIZATION] voting members [PAUSE, imply WHO ARE] present any general meeting shall constitute a quorum." I infer that your organization may have "voting members" and some other category or categories of members. To me, it is not much of a stretch to interpret your citation to mean that if you have at least 2/3 of all the voting members of the organizationat a meeting, then you have a quorum.

Thanks to all that replied.

There isn't any puncuation in the sentence. I also intrepretted it to first mean 2/3 of the voting membership. The chair then said it was

only about the members present. So my argument continues to be that you don't apply a fraction to those that show up but you can apply it to

the total membership.

Thanks to all that replied.

There isn't any puncuation in the sentence. I also intrepretted it to first mean 2/3 of the voting membership. The chair then said it was

only about the members present. So my argument continues to be that you don't apply a fraction to those that show up but you can apply it to

the total membership.

If there are two possible interpretations of the sentence, and one is clearly nonsense (applying a fractional quorum requirement to those who show up), then it seems to me that the one that is no nonsense is the correct one. The interpretation as 2/3 of all of the voting members constitutes a quorum is a reasonable requirement for a quorum for many organizations.

Archived