The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session - Who is Required to stay

Guest Cynthia Pringle

Guest Cynthia Pringle

I take the minutes for our district. When we break for an executive session I note the time the meeting dismissed and the Executive Session began. I also not when the meeting will reconvene. At the time the meeting reconvenes I so note the time in the minutes and then complete the meeting minutes. Question: Am I required to stay in attendnace for the meeting or can someone else step in and finish the minutes for me?

I take the minutes for our district. When we break for an executive session I note the time the meeting dismissed and the Executive Session began. I also not when the meeting will reconvene. At the time the meeting reconvenes I so note the time in the minutes and then complete the meeting minutes. Question: Am I required to stay in attendnace for the meeting or can someone else step in and finish the minutes for me?

It is certainly possible for a Secretary Pro Tempore to be elected to complete the minutes if there is a situation where you must leave, but since taking the minutes is one of your duties, I would stay through the duration of the meeting as much as possible.

When we break for an executive session . . . I note the time the meeting dismissed and the Executive Session began. I also not when the meeting will reconvene.

And note that there is no need for the meeting to "break" (i.e. recess or adjourn) and then "reconvene". The executive session can be (and I think usually is) part (or all) of an uninterrupted meeting.

Note too, that non-members may be invited to attend a meeting (or portion thereof) held in executive session but there is certainly no requirement that a non-member be allowed to attend, even if that non-member is the secretary.

Archived