The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Editing the Minutes -

Guest Cynthia

I take the minutes for our district. After each meeting the Executive Director review's them and then edits them. She often removes and or rewrites the text. Ofthen this results in a philisophical change in the minutes. I have always understood that the Board or Commissioners were the only persons who could stricken content and or ask for rewording.

I take the minutes for our district. After each meeting the Executive Director review's them and then edits them. She often removes and or rewrites the text. Ofthen this results in a philisophical change in the minutes. I have always understood that the Board or Commissioners were the only persons who could stricken content and or ask for rewording.

Only the body can change them. I am assuming you are the Secretary for the body. You should not submit them to the Executive Director but to the body that met.

If it's possible to introduce a "philosophical" change in the minutes, then there is too much extraneous material in the minutes to begin with. If properly recorded there is virtually no philosophical content at all.

Explain how the statement "Moved by Ms. P to paint the clubhouse red; approved," can be philosophically altered.

That said, the E.D. has no business editing your minutes.

Explain how the statement "Moved by Ms. P to paint the clubhouse red; approved," can be philosophically altered.

Ms. P, almost in tears, explained that a group of the older ladies found the clubhouse color of purple and green to be emotionally wrenching, reminding several them of their late husbands. A subdued red color, she added, would be much better. The motion was seconded by Ms. J, who felt the same way, and added her own story of emotional tension. During the ensuing debate, Ms. K, argued against the motion, stating that the color red caused he to have to use the bathroom more frequently. She wanted a friendly amendment to change the color to green and blue. Ms. L aregued against the motion stating that the current purple and green were chosen to honor the family crest of the Dalmation family, who left $1 million in 1935 in a trust to build the clubhouse in the first place. A vote was finally taken after 45 minutes of debate. The vote was 23 in favor 20 oppose and 6 not voting. The chair declared the motion passed, but a point of order was raised by Ms. Z, who said she thought a morion needed to pass by 50% plus one of all those present. Ms. Z argued that her grandmother, a charter member of the organization always counted that way since being the first chair from 1932 to 1960. The chair was upheld and the motion passed.

Ms. P, almost in tears, explained that a group of the older ladies found the clubhouse color of purple and green to be emotionally wrenching, reminding several them of their late husbands. A subdued red color, she added, would be much better. The motion was seconded by Ms. J, who felt the same way, and added her own story of emotional tension. During the ensuing debate, Ms. K, argued against the motion, stating that the color red caused he to have to use the bathroom more frequently. She wanted a friendly amendment to change the color to green and blue. Ms. L aregued against the motion stating that the current purple and green were chosen to honor the family crest of the Dalmation family, who left $1 million in 1935 in a trust to build the clubhouse in the first place. A vote was finally taken after 45 minutes of debate. The vote was 23 in favor 20 oppose and 6 not voting. The chair declared the motion passed, but a point of order was raised by Ms. Z, who said she thought a morion needed to pass by 50% plus one of all those present. Ms. Z argued that her grandmother, a charter member of the organization always counted that way since being the first chair from 1932 to 1960. The chair was upheld and the motion passed.

Exactly. I rest my case.

Hmm..... a little time on your hands today??? :)

Archived