The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vice President filling in for President

Guest Bumble

The President is not present at the start of a meeting and the Vice President brings the meeting to order. Later during the meeting the President arrives. Can the Vice President then turn over the meeting to the President? If so, is it required that he do so?

The President is not present at the start of a meeting

and the Vice President brings the meeting to order.

Later during the meeting the President arrives.

Can the Vice President then turn over the meeting to the President?

If so, is it required that he do so?

That indeed matches The Book.

It isn't up to the VP to fight for control of the gavel. The VP has no choice in the matter.

However, the P is free (relatively speaking) to decline his "duty" for a while. - I am thinking that the P may wish the pending business to be 100% off the floor first, so that the P may preside WITHOUT INTERRUPTION of the pending business.

Interruptions are so rude. - A president ought not interrupt the flow of a meeting, just to satisfy his ego.

("Hey! Look at me! I'm the president!")

Although the sections 2) and 3) on page 437 do provide for the (immediate?) termination of the appointment of an appointed or elected Chair pro tem ranking no higher than the lowest VP. I gather from the two previous replies that, if an officer (of at least the lowest VP rank) is in the chair, it makes better parliamentary procedure to await the completion of any pending motion(s) before the President retakes the chair.

Although the sections 2) and 3) on page 437 do provide for the (immediate?) termination of the appointment of an appointed or elected Chair pro tem ranking no higher than the lowest VP. I gather from the two previous replies that, if an officer (of at least the lowest VP rank) is in the chair, it makes better parliamentary procedure to await the completion of any pending motion(s) before the President retakes the chair.

It makes better common sense in certain situations, and it's perfectly proper - akin to relinquishing the chair - until the pending matter is disposed of, since he understands the pending motion(s) and parliamentary situation at the time.

It makes better common sense in certain situations, and it's perfectly proper - akin to relinquishing the chair - until the pending matter is disposed of, since he understands the pending motion(s) and parliamentary situation at the time.

Yes, with the added bonus that the Prez can walk into the meeting fully able to participate in the pending motion (debate, move to amend, vote).

Archived