The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By-Laws

Guest Tobey Andre

Does Roberts Rules of Order address the need of board members to receive a copy of the by-laws at the time of inaugration?

Yes.

RONR does recommend that new members get their own copy of the bylaws, and get all the rules of the organization.

However, that is only a recommendation. There is no hard and fast rule in RONR which says that members must get their own personal hard copy, instantly and automatically.

However, is it addressed that board members should have a copy of the by-laws during their tenure?

As Mr. Goldsworthy indicated, all members should have a copy of the bylaws. I'd go even further and say that I wouldn't join an organization until I had a chance to read the bylaws that I'd be expected to obey. One simple solution is to post the bylaws on the organization's website.

However, is it addressed that board members should have a copy of the by-laws during their tenure?

No.

It is not addressed.

(Excerpt, RONR, page 14)

It is a good policy for every member on joining the society to be given a copy of the bylaws, printed together with the corporate charter, if there is one, and any special rules of order or standing rules that the society may have adopted as explained below. A member should become familiar with the contents of these rules if he looks toward full participation in the society’s affairs.

I gave you The Book's "recommendation".

The recommendation is generic, and applies to all members.

There is no specific text in that recommendation which makes an exception, like for a board, or like for a set of officers.

If not, then how can the organization be supported by the Board?

It's working in the dark.

But you knew that.

Thus the recommendation that 100% of the membership get 100% of the rules in their hands.

Not just bylaws. EVERY RULE.

Not just the board. EVERY MEMBER.

No exceptions.

That's The Book.

Does Roberts Rules of Order address the need of board members to receive a copy of the by-laws at the time of inaugration?

It is recommended that all members be given a copy of the Bylaws. Additionally, all members have a right to view the records of the Secretary, which include a copy of the Bylaws. These rules apply equally to all members of the society.

Archived