The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting Rights

yenrof001

I have approached my HOA board to amend our bylaws eliminating term limits for members of our board. I am not a board member but am an HOA member. Our annual election for members to the board are in a couple months and we will have 5 slots open but only 4 people running to fill those positions. We have one board member that has served us very well that will consider running again but is up against the term limits within our bylaws. The board discussed eliminating the term limits and it was voted down. Our board is very split on issues at the present time up to the point some or our newer board members are walking out of the meetings. We have an officer on the board that will consider running again if we can stay within the rules and we (membership) feel we need his experience on the board at this time. Stipulation would be put in place that the membership maintain their secret ballot voting and the election of the officers to the board.

I was told I can't bring it up for another vote for 6 months per Roberts Rule of Order. My first question is to whether or not that is true? My second question is whether I can take the motion right to the membership for a vote bypassing the board?

Thank You in Advance

Jack

I was told I can't bring it up for another vote for 6 months per Roberts Rule of Order. My first question is to whether or not that is true? My second question is whether I can take the motion right to the membership for a vote bypassing the board?

The answer to your first question is a resounding "NO!". And the person who told you that should be tarred and feathered made to stand in the corner. Then ask him to show you where in RONR it says what he says it says.

The answer to your second question is a probable "yes". Check your bylaws.

Archived