The Official RONR Q & A Forums

temporary position

Guest Tenika

I have a few questions reguarding the calling of a meeting in a church congregation. The congregation just recently met to place a young gentleman in as a temp. pastor for 3 months just to carry on with worship services. Now, on his first sevice as temp,he proceeds to call a member meeting (which he allowed visitors to remain), and he removes one of the ministries in the church,and makes other decisions as well. Now,even tho the congregation allowed him to be temp. for 3 months, he or his wife are actually members of the church, so question 1 would this make his temp.position null & void?

Also, when he called a meeting of the members, he just simply said I`m calling a meeting. No motion to go into a meeting, no second, nothing that would be the proper way to call a meeting. So now question 2,anything discissions he has made, would they be null and void as well? The congregation did vote an anything, he just said what he was doing.

Even as temp. pastor has he the authority to do anything like this? ok thanks I just wanted to see if someone could possibly

shine some light on this, thanks so much for your time.

I have a few questions reguarding the calling of a meeting in a church congregation. The congregation just recently met to place a young gentleman in as a temp. pastor for 3 months just to carry on with worship services. Now, on his first sevice as temp,he proceeds to call a member meeting (which he allowed visitors to remain), and he removes one of the ministries in the church,and makes other decisions as well. Now,even tho the congregation allowed him to be temp. for 3 months, he or his wife are actually members of the church, so question 1 would this make his temp.position null & void?

Also, when he called a meeting of the members, he just simply said I`m calling a meeting. No motion to go into a meeting, no second, nothing that would be the proper way to call a meeting. So now question 2,anything discissions he has made, would they be null and void as well? The congregation did vote an anything, he just said what he was doing.

Even as temp. pastor has he the authority to do anything like this? ok thanks I just wanted to see if someone could possibly

shine some light on this, thanks so much for your time.

I'm afraid that the answers to most of your questions will be found in the governing documents of your church, not RONR. I would venture that whatever your temporary pastor might have done that exceeds the scope of his lawful powers is null and void.

I'm afraid that the answers to most of your questions will be found in the governing documents of your church, not RONR. I would venture that whatever your temporary pastor might have done that exceeds the scope of his lawful powers is null and void.

Thanks so much for your response sir.

In the way he called a meeting, without any motions, seconds ect.just simply saying I`m calling a meeting, would this justify any decisions he may have made, or would this null & void them because of improper calling of a meeting? thanks

Thanks so much for your response sir.

In the way he called a meeting, without any motions, seconds ect.just simply saying I`m calling a meeting, would this justify any decisions he may have made, or would this null & void them because of improper calling of a meeting? thanks

As far as the rules in RONR are concerned, an improperly-called meeting is an illegal meeting that has no legal voters, RONR (10th ed.), pp. 408, 409; therefore, any action taken at such an improperly-called meeting would be null and void, p. 244, ll. 19-20.

That doesn't answer for you whether or not the meeting was, indeed, improperly-called. You will have to check your church's own rules to see if the temporary pastor had the power to call the meeting in the way he did. Maybe he did; maybe he didn't. I can't say.

As far as the rules in RONR are concerned, an improperly-called meeting is an illegal meeting that has no legal voters, RONR (10th ed.), pp. 408, 409; therefore, any action taken at such an improperly-called meeting would be null and void, p. 244, ll. 19-20.

That doesn't answer for you whether or not the meeting was, indeed, improperly-called. You will have to check your church's own rules to see if the temporary pastor had the power to call the meeting in the way he did. Maybe he did; maybe he didn't. I can't say.

ok, I understand. Our church bylaws does not indicate anything about a temp.position, especially pastor.So I supose since #1 in our church bylaws state that we are a majority ruled church, I supose this will have to be decided by the church. concidering over half the church is his family, well, we know how that will end. Again thanks so much.

ok, I understand. Our church bylaws does not indicate anything about a temp.position, especially pastor.So I supose since #1 in our church bylaws state that we are a majority ruled church, I supose this will have to be decided by the church. concidering over half the church is his family, well, we know how that will end. Again thanks so much.

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 89-90 for Special Meetings.

I don't see what difference it makes if the meeting was properly called or not, since you stated that no votes were taken, and therefore, nothing was decided. More to the point of your question, nothing was approved or ratified.

So, practically speaking, it's as if the meeting never took place.

Archived