The Official RONR Q & A Forums

committees

Guest Esther

A Club I am on the Executive for has a concern over who is on a certain committee. I will place here what is in our by-laws.

Duties of Directors and Officers.

President - Shall preside at all meetings of the Corporation and Directors.

Shall supervise the offiers' execution of their duties

Shall be a member of any and all committees created by the Directors.

Vice-President - Shall carry out the duties of the President in the President's absence.

Shall act as any chair of any committees created by the Directors.

Discipline - As this is a lengthy article, I will not put all the information here. But, a brief synopsis. "The Membership Secretary upon receiving such a complaint, shall within thirty days forward a copy of the complaint with a notice of hearing to the member who is the subject of the complaint.........A minimum of four members of the Board OR an established complaint committee shall administer the hearing and shall determine......."

My questions,

- as the Discipline Committee is written in the By-Laws, does this not make this a standing committee?

- is the Discipline committee considered a sub-committee of the Directors?

- Does the VICE-President automatically sit on this committee?

I hope I have made myself clear and I appreciate any information you can give me on this matter.

Esther

A Club I am on the Executive for has a concern over who is on a certain committee. I will place here what is in our by-laws.

Duties of Directors and Officers.

President - Shall preside at all meetings of the Corporation and Directors.

Shall supervise the offiers' execution of their duties

Shall be a member of any and all committees created by the Directors.

Vice-President - Shall carry out the duties of the President in the President's absence.

Shall act as any chair of any committees created by the Directors.

Discipline - As this is a lengthy article, I will not put all the information here. But, a brief synopsis. "The Membership Secretary upon receiving such a complaint, shall within thirty days forward a copy of the complaint with a notice of hearing to the member who is the subject of the complaint.........A minimum of four members of the Board OR an established complaint committee shall administer the hearing and shall determine......."

My questions,

- as the Discipline Committee is written in the By-Laws, does this not make this a standing committee?

- is the Discipline committee considered a sub-committee of the Directors?

- Does the VICE-President automatically sit on this committee?

I hope I have made myself clear and I appreciate any information you can give me on this matter.

Esther

Unfortunately, the answers to your questions will be found in your society's governing documents, not RONR.

Unfortunately, the answers to your questions will be found in your society's governing documents, not RONR.

Though that may not be enough to forestall any further attempts. :lol:

I'd venture that, if the bylaws (an instrument "created" by the membership, typically) defines the Discipline committee, then that committee is not created by the Directors, but by the membership, and as such is not a sub-committee of the Directors, and the VP is not automatically a member. But that's just one guy's take on it.

Archived