The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsidering a Request to Modify

Tim Wynn

If it is moved to reconsider the vote on a request to modify a motion that has been stated by the chair, is there any abbreviation of the procedure (similar to that found on p. 197. l. 33 - p. 198, l. 9)?

Which of the following procedures is followed?

1. As soon as the motion to Reconsider is made, the unanimous consent on permitting the modification is considered to be reversed, since a member obviously objects, and the chair states the question on the modification as an amendment (assuming it is in order).

2. Since the motion to Reconsider requires a second, as soon as the motion is seconded, the unanimous consent on permitting the modification is considered to be overturned, and the chair states the question on the modification as an amendment (assuming it is in order).

3. After being moved and seconded, the chair puts the question on the motion to Reconsider, and if the motion is adopted, the affirmative vote to Reconsider is also presumed to overturn the unanimous consent for modifying the motion, leading the chair to state the question on the modification as an amendment (assuming it is in order).

4. After being moved and seconded, the chair puts the question on the motion to Reconsider, and if the motion is adopted, the affirmative vote to Reconsider is also presumed to overturn the unanimous consent to modify and to reject the motion to amend.

5. The motion to Reconsider is made and seconded; the chair puts the question on Reconsider; the affirmative vote on Reconsider is also presumed to overturn the unanimous consent to modify, so the chair states the question as an amendment (assuming it is in order); a majority vote in the negative rejects the amendment.

6. There is no abbreviation of steps. The motion to Reconsider is made and seconded; the chair puts the question on Reconsider; the affirmative vote on Reconsider leads him to ask for unanimous consent on permitting the modification; since he won’t get unanimous consent, he states the question as an amendment (assuming it is in order); a majority vote in the negative rejects the amendment.

First, I'll assume that your phrase "the vote on a request to modify a motion" translates to RONR language as

"the vote on an adopted amendment to a main motion, and the main motion (as amended) is still pending"

If that is not correct, what do you mean? "Vote on a request" doesn't "fit" in RONR-speak.

If it is correct, then #6 is (essentially) the correct answer.

First, I'll assume that your phrase "the vote on a request to modify a motion" translates to RONR language as

"the vote on an adopted amendment to a main motion, and the main motion (as amended) is still pending"

If that is not correct, what do you mean? "Vote on a request" doesn't "fit" in RONR-speak.

If it is correct, then #6 is (essentially) the correct answer.

Yeah, I'm having trouble following this too. It sounds like it might have gone like this:

Ms. A.: I ask unanimous consent that the motion be amended to add the words "with regret" after the word "accept".

Chair: If there is no objection, the motion will be amended by adding the words "with regret" after the word "accept". <pause>

Mr B.: I move to reconsider that amendment.

Chair: Objection is heard to the amendment. Does the member wish to move the amendment?

Ms A: I do.

Chair: Is there a sec--

Mr C.: Second!

Chair: It has been moved and seconded to amend the motion by adding the words "with regret" after the word "accept". Are you ready for the question?

And we're off to the races.

The motion to Reconsider was never in order, because there was no result to reconsider yet, and Mr. B. moved it when he could simply have objected. The chair properly took his "motion" as a voice against the amendment, but it was still not in order as there was nothing to reconsider.

If that's not the situation then I don't understand the situation.

I don't think any of your 6 choices are correct. There will either be a possible reconsideration of the unanimous consent that allowed the modification (reconsider can made by any member) or a possible reconsideration of the adopted/defeated amendment.(p. 128)

Neither requires a shortcut......that I can tell.

I see John was confused too.......

OK.

A "vote on a request to modify", if adopted, amounts to an amendment to a main motion. Or can mean that the "request to modify" - the amendment - was not adopted, if the majority said "No".

If the request/amendment was adopted (or defeated), then it, the (vote on the) request/amendment, is subject to reconsideration. Your #6 remains mostly correct, as I read it. The only "not quite right" part is your assumption of the chair asking for unanimous consent if the vote on reconsider is adopted. The chair should just put the question on the request/amendment again, not assuming anything about the sentements of the assembly.

Archived