The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chapter Statement of Obligation

Guest Anonymous

Hello,

My chapter has written a SOR (Statement of Obligation Review) stating I broke my Statement of Obligation by having a drink in front of a new member on my 21st birthday at a dinner table. Here is our Statement of Obligation:

As a member/new member of the ___________ of __________ Fraternity, I accept the responsibilities of lifelong membership in the Fraternity. I am familiar with and at all times will abide by the Constitution, policies and procedures of the _____________ Fraternity and the ____________ chapter’s bylaws and standing rules. I understand that should I transfer to another campus and affiliate with another chapter, I am still bound by my Statement of Obligation and become responsible for and will abide by that chapter’s bylaws and standing rules.

I will live by the high standards and ideals of sisterhood of the______________Fraternity. I will strive to achieve my scholastic potential and I will provide, and hereby authorize my university to provide copies of my grade reports to the director of scholarship within two weeks after grades are released. I will meet my financial obligations, will abide by the chapter’s housing policies, and hereby permit the_______________chapter (or any subsequent chapter with which I affiliate) of ________________ Fraternity to release to my parents/guardian information regarding my financial obligations incurred as a member in the chapter. I will hold in confidence the business and rituals of ___________________ Fraternity and of my chapter.

I understand that the Honor Board of _____________ chapter (or any subsequent chapter with which I affiliate) has the responsibility to enforce all chapter, Fraternity, and university rules and regulations, and to require me to comply with all local, state, provincial and federal laws. I understand that a violation of any of these requirements will result in disciplinary action against me by the chapter Honor Board in accordance with the procedures of ______________ Fraternity.

If for any reason my membership is terminated, I promptly will return my badge and my membership certificate.

There is absolutely nothing in the bylaws, standing rules or policies and procedures nor the constitution about having a drink on my 21st birthday dinner in front of a new member. Do they have a basis for this?

Hello,

My chapter has written a SOR (Statement of Obligation Review) stating I broke my Statement of Obligation by having a drink in front of a new member on my 21st birthday at a dinner table. Here is our Statement of Obligation:

<snip>

There is absolutely nothing in the bylaws, standing rules or policies and procedures nor the constitution about having a drink on my 21st birthday dinner in front of a new member. Do they have a basis for this?

Presumably they believe they do. But if you get a fair disciplinary hearing and they fail to prove that you broke a rule, you should be exonerated.

Proper procedure would be to follow Chapter XX. in RONR.

Presumably they believe they do. But if you get a fair disciplinary hearing and they fail to prove that you broke a rule, you should be exonerated.

It should be noted (or whether it should or not, I wanna) that Chapter Twenty, "Disciplinary Procedures," needs to be read carefully, and preferably by as many who are involved as possible.

Do they have a basis for this?

That's not my call. That will be up to the assembly.

But if you get a fair disciplinary hearing and they fail to prove that you broke a rule, you should be exonerated.

It is not a requirement that a member explicitly violates the assembly's rules in order to be disciplined. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 630, lines 1-7)

Well, I would first check to see if the organization has its own rules for discipline, and read those carefully. Since the Statement of Obligation mentioned something about discipline by an "Honor Board," it seems the organization has its own process.

Archived