The Official RONR Q & A Forums

bylaw interpretation

Guest Andy Sparks

Our bylaw under Discipline reads"Any person having a complaint of alleged improper conduct of another may report the same , in writing , to any Officer or Member of the Board of Governors .

This is word per word of the first sentence , my question is does "may report the same , in writing , mean it must be in writing ?

Our bylaw under Discipline reads"Any person having a complaint of alleged improper conduct of another may report the same , in writing , to any Officer or Member of the Board of Governors .

This is word per word of the first sentence , my question is does "may report the same , in writing , mean it must be in writing ?

Bylaws can only be properly interpreted in their entirety, something that's beyond the scope of this forum.

That said, "may" is a pretty weak term. It doesn't mean "must" and it doesn't mean "shall" (which means "must").

The interpretation of a particular organization's bylaws falls outside the scope of this forum, I'm afraid.

Bylaws can only be properly interpreted in their entirety, something that's beyond the scope of this forum.

That said, "may" is a pretty weak term. It doesn't mean "must" and it doesn't mean "shall" (which means "must").

Especially since it "may" have nothing to do with the in writing part, which is his original question.......

I think the trickier part of this bylaw is those danged commas.

A good point. The "may" seems to refer to the reporting but the reporting would (must? shall?) be in writing.

Especially since it "may" have nothing to do with the in writing part, which is his original question.......

Which is what Mr. Foulkes pointed out at 4:09 and I acknowledged at 4:14.

Archived