The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President self appointed to chair a committee?

Dreams

Hello. Is it prohibited for a President to appoint himself Chair of a standing committee in a not-for-profit 501 C 3? Our bylaws do not address this.

Citations in Roberts would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance.

There is no prohibition against the president appointing himself to a standing committee, if he has the power to appoint the standing committee. RONR doesn't give this authority to the president, so he would have to get it from the bylaws or the assembly.

See RONR(10th ed.),p. 474 - 480, for the methods of appointing a committee.

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 419, l. 8-12, for a prohibition on the president appointing or being a member of the nominating committee.

Thank you for your prompt reply Tim Wynn. Would yo be able to give me a page in RONR to refer to? Thanks again.

Umm, I think he did: "See RONR(10th ed.),p. 474 - 480, for the methods of appointing a committee."

If you're asking on what page the prohibition which does not appear in RONR does not appear, it does not appear on every page.:)

--

P.S. Your problem in analyzing this situation is to see whether your president (according to your bylaws) is given the power to appoint the members of standing committees. That is not contained in RONR, so you'll have to check your bylaws to see if he is.

If he is, then he can appoint any qualified candidate, including himself, because no page in RONR says he can't.

Umm, I think he did: "See RONR(10th ed.),p. 474 - 480, for the methods of appointing a committee."

If you're asking on what page the prohibition which does not appear in RONR does not appear, it does not appear on every page.:)

--

P.S. Your problem in analyzing this situation is to see whether your president (according to your bylaws) is given the power to appoint the members of standing committees. That is not contained in RONR, so you'll have to check your bylaws to see if he is.

If he is, then he can appoint any qualified candidate, including himself, because no page in RONR says he can't.

But ... this is one case where it's easy. RONR gives the very brief list of what a president is required to do (and is therefore authorized to do) on p. 433 - 434, and then says he can't do anything else at all, except when he is authorized (p. 440, line 22 - 25. The next few lines make it clear that this holds for committee appointments, too).

Archived