The Official RONR Q & A Forums

invalid meetings

Guest Erv Chorn

[font="Times New Roman

The By-laws state"Conduct of meetings: All meetings of the unit owners and the Board of Directors shall be conducted in accordance with Roberts Rules of Order unless otherwise dictated."

There has been no "Otherwise dictated." The chair and secretary do not conduct any meeting according to RONR. Does this make invalid all business conducted at these meetings?

The By-laws state

"Conduct of meetings: All meetings of the unit owners and the Board of Directors shall be conducted in accordance with Roberts Rules of Order unless otherwise dictated."

There has been no "Otherwise dictated."

The chair and secretary do not conduct any meeting according to RONR.

Does this make invalid all business conducted at these meetings?

No.

(Hey, that was easy!) :)

Q. If they are not using Robert's Rules of Order, then what rules are they using?

What are they doing which you suspect is out of compliance with Robert's Rules of Order?

Following up on Mr Goldsworthy's one-word answer:

No, but some might be. Original Poster _Guest_Erv_Chom, what were the violations? Failure to require seconds to motions: forget about it: too late to object. How about motions to rob banks, when that's not in the bylaws, because you're an orchid fanciers' society? Hmm, I bet you can keep the money there, too (p. 335, expressed as a rule of order). Let members in without wearing their propeller beanies? Can't fly -- Can't be suspended -- but I doubt you can invalidate the actions of the meeting, unless the members without their beanies can have affected some vote. Uh oh.

(O Great Steaming Cobnuts, I spelled his name wrong, I got the underlines backward.)

The chair and secretary do not conduct any meeting according to RONR. Does this make invalid all business conducted at these meetings?

No. Generally speaking, a Point of Order must be raised at the time of the violation, or it's too late to complain. Some particularly egregious violations, however, may cause some business at some meetings to be null and void. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 243-244, 254-256 for more information.

Although it seems to me the long-term solution is to get a new chair. See FAQ #20, elsewhere on this site. I'm not sure what the secretary has to do with this, as his job is simply to handle the assembly's minutes and other documents.

[font="Times New Roman

The By-laws state"Conduct of meetings: All meetings of the unit owners and the Board of Directors shall be conducted in accordance with Roberts Rules of Order unless otherwise dictated."

There has been no "Otherwise dictated." The chair and secretary do not conduct any meeting according to RONR. Does this make invalid all business conducted at these meetings?

You've received 3 answers that begin with the same word. I'll end my response with it... No.

Archived