The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board of Directors Elections

Guest Gene

The Board I am involved with recently held an election for 5 new board members with 9 individuals on the ballot. The place for the 5th position ended in a tie between 2 people. I referenced Robert's Rules of Order and found the following in the 9th edition, Chapter XIV - Nominations & Elections:

In an election of members of a board or committee, if more than the prescribed number receive a majority vote, the places are filled by the proper number receiving the largest number of votes. If less than the proper number receive a majority vote, those who do have a majority are elected, and all other candidates remain on the ballot for the necessary repeated balloting. Similarly, if some candidates receive a majority, but are tied for the lowest position that would elect, all of those candidates also remain on the next ballot.

I understand this to mean that the 2 people tied go on the new ballot (to break the tie) as well as the other three people that received less votes than the 2 involved in the tie. The 4 with the highest number of votes would be declared winners and they would not be listed on the new ballot.

Please provide feedback on how you interpret this...

The Board I am involved with recently held an election for 5 new board members with 9 individuals on the ballot. The place for the 5th position ended in a tie between 2 people. I referenced Robert's Rules of Order and found the following in the 9th edition, Chapter XIV - Nominations & Elections:

In an election of members of a board or committee, if more than the prescribed number receive a majority vote, the places are filled by the proper number receiving the largest number of votes. If less than the proper number receive a majority vote, those who do have a majority are elected, and all other candidates remain on the ballot for the necessary repeated balloting. Similarly, if some candidates receive a majority, but are tied for the lowest position that would elect, all of those candidates also remain on the next ballot.

I understand this to mean that the 2 people tied go on the new ballot (to break the tie) as well as the other three people that received less votes than the 2 involved in the tie. The 4 with the highest number of votes would be declared winners and they would not be listed on the new ballot.

Please provide feedback on how you interpret this...

Only if the four received majority votes do they win. Is this the case?

Yes, the top 4 received a majority of votes. The two that tied for 5th place received a majority as well. My conundrum is...Who goes on the "new" ballot?...just the two that tied for 5th place or the two that tied and the other 3 that did not have as many votes as the 2 that tied.

Yes, the top 4 received a majority of votes. The two that tied for 5th place received a majority as well. My conundrum is...Who goes on the "new" ballot?...just the two that tied for 5th place or the two that tied and the other 3 that did not have as many votes as the 2 that tied.

None of the remaining nominees are dropped. There should be, if I have this down right, five nominees on the ballot and two spaces for write-ins.

Archived