The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Annual Election of Officers

Guest Mary Ann

If a nominating committee presents its slate at the general membership meeting

and no nominations are made from the floor, can the nominating committee chair, at the election meeting, as for a motion to accept the nominated slate, with a second and a general vote?

That's not quite how it works. If the bylaws require a vote by ballot, even with only one nominee per position, a ballot vote must be taken.....no exceptions.

If the bylaws don't require a vote by ballot, no motion is needed and the presiding officer simply declares the unopposed nominees elected.

and no nominations are made from the floor, can the nominating committee chair, at the election meeting, as for a motion to accept the nominated slate, with a second and a general vote?

Unless the bylaws require a vote by ballot, the chairman can simply announce that the nominees presented by the committee are elected by acclamation. However, if required, a vote by ballot must be conducted, since the voters can write in other choices. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 428.

The nominating committee chair shouldn't be asking for anything; his job is just to report, provided he's the reporting member of the committee. The chair (of the assembly) will handle the election.

That's not quite how it works. If the bylaws require a vote by ballot, even with only one nominee per position, a ballot vote must be taken.....no exceptions.

If the bylaws don't require a vote by ballot, no motion is needed and the presiding officer simply declares the unopposed nominees elected.

But note well that the presiding officer is NOT the nominating committee chair.

Yeah, I was shocked to not see it. I realize I've come to anticipate it with some delight.

OK I'll be the one to ask, since I do not know the anticipated rote response.

p 401 "The tellers proceed to count the ballots - in a seculuded location or in another room if the meeting proceeds to other business during the counting. Some small organizations have a custom that ballots are counted in full presence of the meeting"

So is the expected answer that no, the election committee cannot go into another room but the tellers can?

Willing to take the heat from the group.... to see the response

Renee

OK I'll be the one to ask, since I do not know the anticipated rote response.

p 401 "The tellers proceed to count the ballots - in a seculuded location or in another room if the meeting proceeds to other business during the counting. Some small organizations have a custom that ballots are counted in full presence of the meeting"

So is the expected answer that no, the election committee cannot go into another room but the tellers can?

Willing to take the heat from the group.... to see the response

Renee

Renee,

The typical response that we had in mind has nothing to do with the actual question. If memory serves, it would be something like... "Firstly, please don't write in all caps, as it's difficult to read and on the Internet it's considered shouting. Secondly, you will get a better response if you post your question in a new topic, where it can get the full attention that it deserves."

[note: I get a squeamish feeling adding "ly" to adverbs such as first, second, third, etc., but I know Mr. Mountcastle is fond of the practice.]

As for the "actual question," you seem to have answered it nicely. RONR doesn't speak of an election committee doing anything with votes (or anything else for that matter).

As for the "actual question," you seem to have answered it nicely. RONR doesn't speak of an election committee doing anything with votes (or anything else for that matter).

The answer would be the same even if the poster had asked about the tellers' committee, although it may have required more elaboration. The poster asked if the committee has a right to go into another room to count the votes, which it does not. While it is common for the tellers' committee to go to another room for counting the votes, the assembly could order the votes to be counted in full presence of the meeting.

Archived