The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Non-board members speaking

Guest Travis Prinslow

Guest Travis Prinslow

We were discussing today in our student senate meeting the topic of student involvement. At a recent meeting there were several (about 20) students there to address an issue that was before the body. None of them were given a chance to speak, there was much debate on the topic by the body. In tonight's discussion several senators felt it is the Body's job to hear the opinions of those we represent, several stated they didn't feel that way. What are the rules on this? And how does the body decided to recognize non body members, and if they can recognize them what rules apply to non-members speaking? And could you please give citations so I can reference these to the Body.

Thank You,

Travis

We were discussing today in our student senate meeting the topic of student involvement.

At a recent meeting there were several (about 20) students there to address an issue that was before the body.

None of them were given a chance to speak, there was much debate on the topic by the body.

In tonight's discussion several senators felt it is the Body's job to hear the opinions of those we represent, several stated they didn't feel that way.

What are the rules on this?

And how does the body decided to recognize non body members, and if they can recognize them what rules apply to non-members speaking?

According to Robert's Rules of Order:

• No one has the RIGHT be present, EXCEPT members of the body which is meeting. (So your 20 students have zero rights to see or hear anything, regarding your student senate meeting.)

• The body which is meeting (your "student senate") is free to allow visitors and guests. But it need not admit anyone. And, the body is free to (Suspend The Rules and) allow the visitors/guests to speak. And the body need not be consistent, in that it may allow one, two, or all, of the vistors/guests to speak. The body may pick and choose who it wishes to hear from.

• See the motion "Suspend The Rules" for details regarding this. See the motion, "Requests And Inquires" for a possible better alternative, if that motion's criteria is a better fit for your scenario. (Perhaps the speaking privilege may be handled as a pure request, instead of a suspension of the rules.)

We were discussing today in our student senate meeting the topic of student involvement. At a recent meeting there were several (about 20) students there to address an issue that was before the body. None of them were given a chance to speak, there was much debate on the topic by the body. In tonight's discussion several senators felt it is the Body's job to hear the opinions of those we represent, several stated they didn't feel that way. What are the rules on this? And how does the body decided to recognize non body members, and if they can recognize them what rules apply to non-members speaking? And could you please give citations so I can reference these to the Body.

I agree with Mr. Goldsworthy regarding the rules of RONR, however, if it's expected to be a regular thing that non-members will be addressing the body, it may be wise to adopt customized rules to address this.

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm currently looking at out state meeting laws now also. As a body that deals with public funds I'm wondering if there may be guidelines we have to follow in state or federal law.

It's quite likely. Look for sunshine laws of your state, and if you have any legal questions, you'll want to direct them to an attorney.

Archived