The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ByLaw

Guest Jeffrey

I have question for you.. I know One of Organization have Bylaw and they created itself but there is no information or put "Robert's Rule of Orders in Bylaw. Does it still have to follow RONR if they did not put RONR in Bylaw?

For example: in Article XXI Dissoluation.. It normally put RONR if they want to follow RONR but they did not put RONR in that Article so meaning that Bylaw do not have to follow RONR.. They need to follow their Bylaw itself.. Am I correct that they should follow their Bylaw only and not RONR? Please correct me??

thank you

I have question for you.. I know One of Organization have Bylaw and they created itself but there is no information or put "Robert's Rule of Orders in Bylaw. Does it still have to follow RONR if they did not put RONR in Bylaw?

For example: in Article XXI Dissoluation.. It normally put RONR if they want to follow RONR but they did not put RONR in that Article so meaning that Bylaw do not have to follow RONR.. They need to follow their Bylaw itself.. Am I correct that they should follow their Bylaw only and not RONR? Please correct me??

thank you

If an organization has not adopted RONR, it is not bound to follow it, though it may be persuasive.

thank you

For the most part (slight wiggle room I'm leaving myself here) the organization must follow it's bylaws anyway, even if they have adopted RONR as the parliamentary authority. The bylaws always "over-rule" RONR.

I would also clarify (I hope for Jeffrey) that you wouldn't put reference to RONR in any separate Articles to which it would apply, but would have a separate article in the bylaws that defines RONR as the parliamentary authority. See page 569 in RONR (10th Edition) for a sample of wording how that is done.

Archived