The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion for readning minutes

ROBJAM

A motion was made that the secretary read the minutes at every meeting. This was a change from the past where the minutes were available for members to read and then a vote taken to accept the minutes. A member made the motion to read the minutes because she arrived late and held up the meeting while she read the minutes. That vote was approved, my question is does this require a bylaw change or can someone rescind that motion altogether or can it go meeting by meeting.

A motion was made that the secretary read the minutes at every meeting. This was a change from the past where the minutes were available for members to read and then a vote taken to accept the minutes. A member made the motion to read the minutes because she arrived late and held up the meeting while she read the minutes. That vote was approved, my question is does this require a bylaw change or can someone rescind that motion altogether or can it go meeting by meeting.

This looks like a special rule of order to me, which would require previous notice for its adoption. If previous notice wasn't given, it would be null and void.

I don't see this as a very good rule, since RONR already has this rule, with provisions for suspending it and approving the minutes without it. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 457.

This looks like a special rule of order to me, which would require previous notice for its adoption. If previous notice wasn't given, it would be null and void.

A special rule of order can also be adopted by a vote of a majority of the entire membership, without notice.

I agree, however, that the rule is rather pointless, as a single member can already demand the minutes to be read at any given meeting.

A special rule of order can also be adopted by a vote of a majority of the entire membership, without notice.

I agree, however, that the rule is rather pointless, as a single member can already demand the minutes to be read at any given meeting.

Josh,

I can use that info. Can you cite a page number in RONR for that.

Archived