The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Association President

Guest Reaferuner

Our president says several things that he believes are true but I do not. See following list.

1. says he cannot chair a committee but is 'on' every committee. Note: no such language in our docs

2. says he has the right and authority to go on anyones property if he suspects a violation of the docs

3. believes that the BOD has an obligation to address any and all homeowner complaints even if there is no violation of the docs

Our president says several things that he believes are true but I do not.

A president (and a board) has only the authority given him (or it) by the bylaws (or any adopted rules or policies of the organization).

RONR grants a president only limited parliamentary authority (e.g. presiding at meetings), but no administrative authority.

And RONR gives no authority at all to a board.

1. His belief is in error - with respect to RONR's rules, that is.

2. Do your homeowners own guns?

3. This is a policy matter for the BoD to decide, case by case. Homeowner docs, like many others, are subject to interpretation.

re#2- you-betcha we do. I made sure he knows that too. Thanks

Our president says several things that he believes are true but I do not. See following list.

1. says he cannot chair a committee but is 'on' every committee. Note: no such language in our docs

He's probably referring to a common provision in many bylaws that "The President shall be, ex officio, a member of all committees except...."

And if that's so then typically he doesn't chair any of them because, unlike regular members, he is not required to attend their meetings. If he were chair, he would. Having said that, that's not a reason why he can't. It's just a reason why many chairs don't.

But you say that does not appear in your bylaws, so that would not applly. Still that doesn't mean the chair has to chair committees, it just means he can, but he could have anyway. Moreover, he doesn't have to make up a rule for not chairing a committee. He could simply say he doesn't feel like it.

2. says he has the right and authority to go on anyones property if he suspects a violation of the docs

Not even the police have that right, without a warrant. Where is your association located, Gitmo?

3. believes that the BOD has an obligation to address any and all homeowner complaints even if there is no violation of the docs

Wow, he just b'lieves all sorts of stuff doesn't he? He's gonna wear out his b'liever if he's not careful.

Archived