The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Refer a Motion to Committee Or Table until next meeting

Gene

What is the proper protocol to refer a motion to a committee for additional information or a recommendation from the committee? Can a member of the board request that action or does it have to come from the chairman?

Is this different from tabling a discussion until a specific time or another meeting? What is the protocol to request that the motion be set aside until the next full Board meeting. Who can do this?

Thanks,

Gene

What is the proper protocol to refer a motion to a committee for additional information or a recommendation from the committee? Can a member of the board request that action or does it have to come from the chairman?

Is this different from tabling a discussion until a specific time or another meeting? What is the protocol to request that the motion be set aside until the next full Board meeting. Who can do this?

Thanks,

Gene

In both cases, it's the decision of the assembly (the collective members present). It's never up to the chairman, alone. To refer a question to a committee, you say, "I move to refer the motion to a committee of three, consisting of Mr. Blonde, Mr. Pink, and Mr. Brown." It requires a majority vote. If adopted, the committee should deliberate on the referred motion and report back recommendations to the assembly, usually at the next session.

The word "table" should be replaced with "postpone." This motion requires a majority vote. It cannot be applied to "discussion," though. It is applied to a specific motion.

In both cases, it's the decision of the assembly (the collective members present). It's never up to the chairman, alone. To refer a question to a committee, you say, "I move to refer the motion to a committee of three, consisting of Mr. Blonde, Mr. Pink, and Mr. Brown." It requires a majority vote. If adopted, the committee should deliberate on the referred motion and report back recommendations to the assembly, usually at the next session.

The word "table" should be replaced with "postpone." This motion requires a majority vote. It cannot be applied to "discussion," though. It is applied to a specific motion.

That is a very clear answer. It is what i was hoping the answer would be.

Thank you

Here are a few other ways to refer a Committee:

1) "I move to refer the motion to a Committe of three appointed by the President."

2) "I move to refer the motion to a Committee consisting of Mr. Jones as Chairman, Mrs. Doe, and Mr. Tall."

3) "I move to refer the motion to the Finance* Committee."

*any Committee could be named here - especially in the case of a Standing Committee.

Archived