The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Powers of Nominating Committee

Guest Dave M

Our By-Laws state the Nominating Committee "...shall interview the candidates and shall apprais the candidates of the duties of the corresponding officeto insure that they are aware of their responsibilites and agree to conduct them in good faith, if elected." Elsewhere in the By-Laws the names are reported to the Chairman for preparatin of ballots.

Would the Nominating Committee have any authority to reject a specific candidate if they felt the candidate unsuitable for the office sought? There being more than one candidate, this would leave at least one name for the ballot.

Although bylaws interpretation is up to you (collectively) and your association, I would read what you quote as not giving the committee any "selection" powers. Sounds like they are just an "advice" committee, and any candidate who meets whatever objective qualifications you have in your bylaws (years of membership, previous offices held, &c, as examples) is placed on the ballot.

Our By-Laws state the Nominating Committee "...shall interview the candidates and shall apprais the candidates of the duties of the corresponding officeto insure that they are aware of their responsibilites and agree to conduct them in good faith, if elected." Elsewhere in the By-Laws the names are reported to the Chairman for preparatin of ballots.

Would the Nominating Committee have any authority to reject a specific candidate if they felt the candidate unsuitable for the office sought? There being more than one candidate, this would leave at least one name for the ballot.

Bylaws can only be properly interpreted in their entirety, something that's beyond the scope of this forum. And it's not even clear (given the ellipsis) that you've cited the entire text regarding your nominating committee.

That said, the usual role of the nominating committee is to select one candidate ("the best one") for each open office. Given that additional nominations can be made from the floor, and write-in votes can be cast for those not even nominated, the selections of the nominating committee are just the first steps, not the last word, in the electoral process.

Our By-Laws state the Nominating Committee

"...shall interview the candidates and shall appraise the candidates of the duties of the corresponding office to insure that they are aware of their responsibilities and agree to conduct them in good faith, if elected."

Elsewhere in the By-Laws the names are reported to the Chairman for preparation of ballots.

Would the Nominating Committee have any authority to reject a specific candidate if they felt the candidate unsuitable for the office sought?

There being more than one candidate, this would leave at least one name for the ballot.

Probably not.

"...shall interview the candidates ...

I think this means, "talk to." :rolleyes:

...shall appraise the candidates of the duties of the corresponding office ...

This must be a typo.

• You don't "appraise" [judge the value of] someone of data.

• You "apprise" [inform; notify] someone of data.

What does this rule mean? I think it means, "talk to." :rolleyes:

"... to insure that they are aware of their responsibilities and agree to conduct them in good faith, if elected."

I think you (collectively) meant "ensure" [to double check] and not "insure" [to prepare for risk of financial loss].

What does this rule mean? I think this specifies the REASON you "talk to" candidates. :rolleyes:

If that is all you have, then I think you have rule with authorizes a committee to TALK TO candidates.

I see nothing to indicate that the committee (a.) eliminates anyone; (b.) judges anyone.

Thus, the product, or end-result, of this committee is to issue its final report.

Namely, "... We have talked to the candidates. We have informed them of their duties ..."

Analogy:

Little Johnny got into mischief.

The Teacher kept Little Johnny after school.

Teacher interviewed Little Johnny. - Per the rule.

Teacher apprised Little Johnny of his bad behavior. - Per the rule.

Q. Does Teacher have the right, therefore, to kick Little Johnny off the school roster? (Since Teacher is authorized by rule to (a.) interview students; (b.) apprise students.)

A. I don't think so.

Would the Nominating Committee have any authority to reject a specific candidate if they felt the candidate unsuitable for the office sought?

How would one be a candidate(nominee), if not selected by the nominating committee? Are you asking if the nominating committee has the authority to reject a nomination made by a member or to prevent a person from being nominated by a member? RONR gives no such authority to the nominating committee.

As described in RONR, the nominating committee does just what its name implies. It provides nominations for offices. In addition, members can make further nominations, and voters are free to vote for any of these nominees or to vote for a person who is not nominated. So, the nominating committee does not restrict nominations or voting in any way, according to the book. If your nominating committee is to have powers to restrict the election process, they would need to be spelled out in the bylaws.

Although bylaws interpretation is up to you (collectively) and your association, I would read what you quote as not giving the committee any "selection" powers. Sounds like they are just an "advice" committee, and any candidate who meets whatever objective qualifications you have in your bylaws (years of membership, previous offices held, &c, as examples) is placed on the ballot.

Well, maybe, and maybe not. The OP, claiming to quote the bylaws, said the nominating committee's job was to "aprais", which of course is not a word.

If the word was intended to be appraise, that indicates some sort of evaluation function but, in context, that word does not seem to fit.

If the word was intended to be apprise, that indicates just the offering of information.

How can they interpret bylaws that nobody even bothered to proofread?

But I saw the quote marks with my own eyes. :blink:

Remember, only parentheses are infallible, such as... The President shall call a special meeting upon the written request of three (3) members of the board, and such a meeting shall be called within ten (10) days of the request.

[yes, this post is facetious.]

Archived