The Official RONR Q & A Forums

unapproved minutes

Guest cj

Our club members voted to suspend the reading of minutes about two years ago to save meeting time upon the suggeston of the then president. We were told that three copies of the minutes would be placed on the front table and with three signatures of three individuals who read the minutes, the minutes would be approved. Recently, it became apparent that the minutes were not only not read, but there had been no call for approval and obviously no one was reading or signing the minutes as we had been told. In September, the membership voted to restore the reading of the minutes.

I have two questions:

What happens to 2 years of minutes that were never read and therefore, never approved? How do we go about approving them? We are a non profit organization as well.

Secondly, can we call for the reading of board minutes as well? Board meetings are held at a different time during each month from the membership meeting. Membership meetings are the first Th; Board meetings are the third Wednesday. I was told that I could not have a copy of the board minutes because they had not been approved at a board meeting....

I would appreciate any information. Our next board meeting is November 17th and I'd like to bring info to the board. Even tho eyes will be rolling.

Thank you cj

Our club members voted to suspend the reading of minutes about two years ago to save meeting time upon the suggeston of the then president. We were told that three copies of the minutes would be placed on the front table and with three signatures of three individuals who read the minutes, the minutes would be approved. Recently, it became apparent that the minutes were not only not read, but there had been no call for approval and obviously no one was reading or signing the minutes as we had been told. In September, the membership voted to restore the reading of the minutes.

I have two questions:

What happens to 2 years of minutes that were never read and therefore, never approved? How do we go about approving them? We are a non profit organization as well.

Secondly, can we call for the reading of board minutes as well? Board meetings are held at a different time during each month from the membership meeting. Membership meetings are the first Th; Board meetings are the third Wednesday. I was told that I could not have a copy of the board minutes because they had not been approved at a board meeting....

I would appreciate any information. Our next board meeting is November 17th and I'd like to bring info to the board. Even tho eyes will be rolling.

Thank you cj

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 343, l. 33-35 for approving older minutes.

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 470, l. 3-10 for ordering the board's minutes to be read.

Approve them in chronological order (first meeting first). And do it ASAP. They're not getting any younger.

Secondly, can we call for the reading of board minutes as well?

The general membership can order the (approved) board minutes read at a meeting of the general membership.

Archived