The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Interim report by Ad Hoc (special) committee

Guest M.E. Jeter

Can special committees ("Ad Hoc") committees make progress reports to the board of directors who has appointed them? I mean reports of an informational nature for the enlightenment of the Board of Directors. Our president today cited Roberts Rules, saying that the "only" reporting that a Special or Ad Hoc committee can make is its final report when its work is finished. Where is such a rule? Or does it even exist?

Can special committees ("Ad Hoc") committees make progress reports to the board of directors who has appointed them? I mean reports of an informational nature for the enlightenment of the Board of Directors. Our president today cited Roberts Rules, saying that the "only" reporting that a Special or Ad Hoc committee can make is its final report when its work is finished. Where is such a rule? Or does it even exist?

There is no such rule supporting the President's position. The Ad Hoc committee is an instrument of the Board's creation and they can instruct the committee to report however often the Board desires.

It is perfectly appropriate for a committee to make what is called a "partial report" to its parent body for informational purposes. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 510.

Can special committees ("Ad Hoc") committees make progress reports to the board of directors who has appointed them? I mean reports of an informational nature for the enlightenment of the Board of Directors.

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 507, l. 24-30 & p. 510, l. 4-11 for partial reports and reports for information only.

Our president today cited Roberts Rules, saying that the "only" reporting that a Special or Ad Hoc committee can make is its final report when its work is finished. Where is such a rule? Or does it even exist?

If he cited RONR, ask him for the page numbers.

Our president today cited Roberts Rules, saying that the "only" reporting that a Special or Ad Hoc committee can make is its final report when its work is finished. Where is such a rule? Or does it even exist?

No he didn't cite anything. If he had in fact "cited" RONR, then you would know where the rule was, and whether it existed. A "citation" to RONR looks like this: RONR (10th ed.), p. 350, l. 16-17

All he did was make a wild, unsupported (and false) claim.

Archived