The Official RONR Q & A Forums

reopen nomination

Guest John

I have looked all through Roberts rules of order and can not find an example to go by so I am asking the form. We nominate in November and elect in December this was done and nominations were closed. The slate in unopposed at this time as no other nominations came from the floor a group of member who were president but did not nominate want to reopen the nominations our by-law do state reopening. I am well aware that they can write in any one they wish quoting ROR but is trying to reopen one month after nominations be considered a dilators motion. Thanks for the help

I have looked all through Roberts rules of order and can not find an example to go by so I am asking the form. We nominate in November and elect in December this was done and nominations were closed. The slate in unopposed at this time as no other nominations came from the floor a group of member who were president but did not nominate want to reopen the nominations our by-law do state reopening. I am well aware that they can write in any one they wish quoting ROR but is trying to reopen one month after nominations be considered a dilators motion. Thanks for the help

See p. 277, l. 19-20.

There are perfectly valid motions to close or reopen nominations. If your bylaws don't say otherwise, then they would be in order, and not considered dilatory if their true intent was to actually nominate someone, rather than just waste time.

You can find them under the section on Motions Relating to Nominations. [RONR (10th ed.), p. 275-77.]

There are perfectly valid motions to close or reopen nominations. If your bylaws don't say otherwise, then they would be in order, and not considered dilatory if their true intent was to actually nominate someone, rather than just waste time.

You can find them under the section on Motions Relating to Nominations. [RONR (10th ed.), p. 275-77.]

There is no provision to reopen our nomiantions in December just to provide a printed ballot and to conduct the election

There is no provision to reopen our nomiantions in December just to provide a printed ballot and to conduct the election

Yes, but there are provisions in RONR to reopen nominations. Thus, it is in order to reopen nominations unless your Bylaws say you can't. If your Bylaws are silent, nominations may be reopened.

For this reason, your assembly should probably stop using pre-printed ballots in the future.

I have looked all through Roberts rules of order and can not find an example to go by so I am asking the form. We nominate in November and elect in December this was done and nominations were closed. The slate in unopposed at this time as no other nominations came from the floor a group of member who were president but did not nominate want to reopen the nominations our by-law do state reopening. I am well aware that they can write in any one they wish quoting ROR but is trying to reopen one month after nominations be considered a dilator's motion. Thanks for the help

I know it was an honest mis-typing, but I loved this one greatly. (fair disclosure: I added the apostrophe for clarity) Just what do you call that guy who all the time is making those picayune, time-wasting, absurd, inappropriate motions? A "dilator", that's what!

If your bylaws have no provision either way, then it is allowed. Only if they prohibit it explicitly would it be out or order.

Do your bylaws prohibit reopening nominations? If not, then a motion to Reopen Nominations will be in order when the election is the pending business before the assembly.

Archived