The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appointment of a board member

Guest Barb Z.

If one board member steps down and another is appointed to fill his seat at the same meeting, are both members listed as board members present at the same meeting? Or is the newly appointed member listed at the following meeting?

Thank you,

Barb

RONR doesn't require that the names of members be listed (besides the Chair and Secretary or the member serving that particular function for the meeting) so those details are for you all to decide.

If one board member steps down and another is appointed to fill his seat at the same meeting, are both members listed as board members present at the same meeting? Or is the newly appointed member listed at the following meeting?

Thank you,

Barb

If you're making a list of members who are present, I'd take it at face value and write down anyone who was a member and present.

It seems that you might be asking about when an appointed/elected member becomes a member. That would be immediately. However, it is likely that notice was required to fill the open board position. See (RONR 10th ed.), p. 279, l. 27-30.

Our organization has removed a board member for poor attendence as President I want to appoint a new board member to replace the one that was removed. The question is according to our by laws if someone runs for a board position they must be a member of good standing for one year prior, the person that I want to appoint has not been a member for one year does this appointment still have to be a member for one year. There is nothing in our by laws stating the qualification of an appointment.

There is nothing in our by laws stating the qualification of an appointment.

The proper interpretation of bylaws requires reading them in their entirety, something that's beyond the scope of this forum.

That said, I think most would interpret the qualifications for "running for" office to be the qualifications for serving in that office. But it depends on your bylaws, how ambiguous they are, and how the membership resolves that ambiguity.

Archived