The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Majority Vote Overturned

Guest Kate

I am new to my Civic League and Iam trying to become involved but am unfortuantely being pushed aside.

Can the president or a Civic league member motion to have a majority vote overturned if all the determinig information was not provided to the members at the time of the vote?

If not, can a motion be made to overturn a majority vote if new options have be provided?

Does the president have the right to veto a majority vote if he has good and sufficient information to do do?

Can the president or a Civic league member motion to have a majority vote overturned if all the determinig information was not provided to the members at the time of the vote?

See Rescind/Amend Something Previously Adopted (RONR pp. 293-299) and Reconsider (RONR pp. 304-325). Also, see FAQ #1 regarding the President.

Does the president have the right to veto a majority vote if he has good and sufficient information to do do?

No.

I am new to my Civic League and Iam trying to become involved but am unfortuantely being pushed aside.

If not, can a motion be made to overturn a majority vote if new options have be provided?

A motion can be made to rescind, or to amend something previously adopted (see RONR pp. 293-299 for details). This motion can be made only for actions not yet fully carried out, and requires a higher voting threshold than a plain vanilla motion. There is no requirement that any new information be provided.

Certainly not... unless your bylaws specifically give such unusual power to the president.

The chair can make a motion to rescind or otherwise amend an adopted motion, but he probably shouldn't. See FAQ #1.

An adopted motion can often be rescinded or otherwise amended. A defeated motion can be renewed (made again).

No, RONR grants no veto power to the president. Or anyone else. The president can rule a motion out of order, but that's another question.

Archived