The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ad hoc committee charge needs to be rewritten

Guest liz

The Executive Committee drafted and approved a resolution to create an ad hoc committee, which created its membership, charge, and a timeline. The ad hoc committee was never implemented. Its become clear that the ad hoc committee needs different membership parameters, a different charge and a different timeline.

Does the original resolution need to be rescinded? By a separate resolution? Or by the new resolution to create the ad hoc committee that would also "rescind" or "amend" the old resolution? What suggestions do you have? thanks very much.

Does the original resolution need to be rescinded? By a separate resolution?

No.

Or by the new resolution to create the ad hoc committee that would also "rescind" or "amend" the old resolution? What suggestions do you have?

The motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted may be used to amend the original resolution. It requires a 2/3 vote, vote of a majority of the entire membership, or majority vote with previous notice.

Subsequent instructions to a committee require only a majority vote without notice. [RONR p. 169, l. 21-26]

Also, a committee may be discharged by a majority vote without notice (normally this takes the same as Rescind) if it has failed to report in the prescribed time, or while the assembly is considering a partial report of the committee. [RONR p. 301, l. 9-15]

Subsequent instructions to a committee require only a majority vote without notice. [RONR p. 169, l. 21-26]

That's a good catch, although I'm not sure that "membership parameters" necessarily falls under the scope of "subsequent instructions." It certainly applies to the latter two elements, though.

That's a good catch, although I'm not sure that "membership parameters" necessarily falls under the scope of "subsequent instructions." It certainly applies to the latter two elements, though.

Yes, individual membership removals (if the appointment was made by a body and not an individual) are in the nature of amending something previously adopted.

Boy, I wish there were a shorthand way of saying "a two-thirds vote or majority of the entire membership without notice or a majority vote with notice" That comes up way too often.

Boy, I wish there were a shorthand way of saying "a two-thirds vote or majority of the entire membership without notice or a majority vote with notice" That comes up way too often.

Copy and paste, I suppose, though I don't use it. I just do the typing... or you could use "See p. 295, l. 24-31." ;)

Also, a committee may be discharged by a majority vote without notice (normally this takes the same as Rescind) if it has failed to report in the prescribed time, or while the assembly is considering a partial report of the committee. [RONR p. 301, l. 9-15]

Subsequent instructions only require a majority vote without notice if they do not conflict with instructions previously given. Otherwise, the approval of subsequent instructions requires the same vote as any other motion to Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted, RONR (10th ed.), pp. 295, 296. Just from the tenor of the original post, I get the impression that the parent body wants to change instructions previously agreed to.

Subsequent instructions only require a majority vote without notice if they do not conflict with instructions previously given. Otherwise, the approval of subsequent instructions requires the same vote as any other motion to Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted, RONR (10th ed.), pp. 295, 296. Just from the tenor of the original post, I get the impression that the parent body wants to change instructions previously agreed to.

If that's the case (and it sounds like it) their best bet is probably just to discharge that ad-hoc committee and start fresh with better instructions, and a different composition. Give notice, and go for the majority vote, if it's at all controversial.

If they are loathe to give prior notice for strategic reasons, and they think there might be trouble getting the requisite vote without it, then give subsequent instructions to the committee that it report its progress by a certain date (majority vote), ensuring that one of the two special criteria for Discharge by majority vote would soon apply.

The committee might even voluntarily Rise and Report itself out of existence, if it has wearied of the task.

Archived