The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion to vote by ballot

Guest Sara

If a motion is on the floor, discussion has been held, and the presiding officer asks "are you ready for the question?", is THAT the appropriate time to move to vote by ballot?

Or..may, during the discussion, the motion to vote by ballot be made (seconded), and a vote on that motion taken prior to disposition of the original motion?

Or...the presiding officer is going to entertain a motion for this particular subject because the Board felt the general membership should have the final say-so. Before a motion is made on this subject (whether to hold an event), should someone move to vote by ballot: "I move to have this subject voted on by ballot" It seems a little strange since there is nothing yet to be voted on.

Thanks for your help.

If a motion is on the floor, discussion has been held, and the presiding officer asks "are you ready for the question?", is THAT the appropriate time to move to vote by ballot?

Or..may, during the discussion, the motion to vote by ballot be made (seconded), and a vote on that motion taken prior to disposition of the original motion?

Or...the presiding officer is going to entertain a motion for this particular subject because the Board felt the general membership should have the final say-so. Before a motion is made on this subject (whether to hold an event), should someone move to vote by ballot: "I move to have this subject voted on by ballot" It seems a little strange since there is nothing yet to be voted on.

Thanks for your help.

All of those are correct ways to move that a vote be taken by ballot.

Yes, that's a fine time to make the motion.

This, too, is a good time to make the motion.

Or...the presiding officer is going to entertain a motion for this particular subject because the Board felt the general membership should have the final say-so.

This makes me think you might be confusing a ballot vote with a vote by the general membership. At a meeting of the general membership, only the general membership will be voting.

Generally, the general membership has the final say, no matter what the board thinks.

Before a motion is made on this subject (whether to hold an event), should someone move to vote by ballot: "I move to have this subject voted on by ballot"

The purpose of a ballot vote is to make the votes secret. If that is the desire, a motion for a ballot vote should be made, yes. RONR's suggested form is, "I move that the vote on this question be taken by ballot."

Yes, that's a fine time to make the motion.

This, too, is a good time to make the motion.

This makes me think you might be confusing a ballot vote with a vote by the general membership. At a meeting of the general membership, only the general membership will be voting.

Generally, the general membership has the final say, no matter what the board thinks.

The purpose of a ballot vote is to make the votes secret. If that is the desire, a motion for a ballot vote should be made, yes. RONR's suggested form is, "I move that the vote on this question be taken by ballot."

does the motion "I move that the vote on this question be taken by ballot" require a second, and is there discussion allowed?

Yes.

No.

Curious - tinted pages 10-11, item 20, on "Ballot, to order the vote on pending question to be taken by" indicates the incidental motion is not debatable. But - if made before the motion to be voted on is made (or before the chair states it), does the motion to vote by ballot now become a main motion, allowing debate, since there is no related pending question yet?

Curious - tinted pages 10-11, item 20, on "Ballot, to order the vote on pending question to be taken by" indicates the incidental motion is not debatable. But - if made before the motion to be voted on is made (or before the chair states it), does the motion to vote by ballot now become a main motion, allowing debate, since there is no related pending question yet?

If made when no motion or election is pending, it is an incidental main motion.

Yes.

If, indeed, it becomes an incidental main motion, perhaps the better route ( in order to circumvent discussion on taking a ballot vote) would be to move to vote by ballot AFTER the original main motion has been made and prior to the presiding officer asking "are you ready for the question".

I'm not at all sure why you think you should attempt to make your motion prior to the presiding officer asking "are you ready for the question". You are certainly going to have to wait until you can properly obtain the floor in order to do so, and the reason why the chair asks "are you ready for the question" is to let you know that the time has come for you to do it. :)

Archived