The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Public Comment

Guest Theresa

I am very new to using Roberts Rules to run a meeting. I work at a elementary school where the members of our council are also new to using Roberts Rules. During a meeting is it only members that are allowed to make comments? If we have public attending, are the allowed to add to the discussion? Are we required to allow them to speak or is it at the discretion of the Chair?

I am very new to using Roberts Rules to run a meeting. I work at a elementary school where the members of our council are also new to using Roberts Rules. During a meeting is it only members that are allowed to make comments? If we have public attending, are the allowed to add to the discussion? Are we required to allow them to speak or is it at the discretion of the Chair?

As far as RONR is concerned, "the public" is just another word (or two) for "non-member" and non-members (of the body that is meeting) have no parliamentary rights.

Non-members may be invited, or excluded, as the assembly (the members present) wishes. Non-members may even be permitted to speak. And the assembly is free to invite some non-members and exclude others. The one thing non-members absolutely, positively can not do is vote.

It's up to the assembly, not the chair alone.

Note that some organizations (such as public school boards?) may be subject to open-meeting (or "sunshine") laws which would supersede RONR.

As a rule, only members of the council may speak in debate (p. 3). The majority may permit a nonmember of the council to make some type of statement or presentation. The rules may be suspended to permit a nonmember to enter into debate (p. 255 fn.).

I am very new to using Roberts Rules to run a meeting. I work at a elementary school where the members of our council are also new to using Roberts Rules. During a meeting is it only members that are allowed to make comments?

Only members have the RIGHT to speak, but others may be ALLOWED to speak by the assembly (the collective members in attendance).

If we have public attending, are the allowed to add to the discussion?

Only with the permission of the assembly.

Are we required to allow them to speak

No rule in RONR requires this.

or is it at the discretion of the Chair?

It's at the discretion of the assembly, not the chair.

You might also consider passing rules on public participation in advance, if this is something the group wants to allow on a regular basis. RONR allows the assembly to decide most anything on this topic, but it's easier to have rules in place than to decide every time the issue comes up.

Things to consider might be seating non-members separately so knowing who has a vote is not a problem.

And, setting certain times in the order of business where non-members are heard from, such as near the beginning and end of the meeting, with the rule specifying how long each may speak. In legislative councils, where public hearings occur on individual ordinances or policies, the assembly might hear from non-members on that specific subject, at a point when the motion is about to be placed before the council. You are free to regulate it as you see fit.

As a practical matter, what you want to avoid is having non-members and members mixing it up and debating each other during the discussion of a motion. That can too easily become a free-for all, because it blurs the distinction on who is really making the decisions.. You can do it if you want, but you will regret it.

Any time you feel your rules are restricting you, you can always suspend them for the special cases. You can also close the meeting to the public whenever you want to. You're not locked into anything.

"You" of course meaning your assembly, not an individual.

Archived