The Official RONR Q & A Forums

authority of Chair

Guest Corinne Rivers

it appears that the comment under Article IV ss 28 states that The president is not a member of any committee except by virtue of a special rule, unless he is so appointed by the assembly.

would answer the question in the negative. therefore in the absence of the provision in the bylaws, the chair (president) is not automatically a member of every committee

it appears that the comment under Article IV ss 28 states that The president is not a member of any committee except by virtue of a special rule, unless he is so appointed by the assembly.

would answer the question in the negative. therefore in the absence of the provision in the bylaws, the chair (president) is not automatically a member of every committee

Which is what Mr. Mervosh, in his pithy way, said.

Is the chair automatically an ex officio member of all committees or must this be specified in the bylaws?

Now the questioners are answering their own questions. That's great, I think I'll take the afternoon off.B)

Oh, did Mr. Mervosh get in the way of you answering your own question? He often jumps in front like that.

I don't follow your reference, but you'll find one in RONR(10th ed.), p. 562, l. 16-23.

"We get up at twelve, and start to work at one,

Take an hour for lunch, and then at two, we're done!

Jolly good fun!"

- Munchkins of Emerald City

(excerpt from the song, "The Merry Old Land of Oz"

from the 1939 film
The Wizard of Oz
)

Director Victor Fleming's second-highest-grossing movie of the year.

That citation is not applicable to the 10th edition. Article IV sounds like it's the 1915 no-longer-copyrighted edition of ROR, which is pretty badly out of date, and not RONR, which is reasonably new.

I don't know what book you're reading, but it's not The Right Book (as it does not use articles as divisions). Your text happens to be correct in this instance, but it would be advisable to get Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, 10th edition.

That citation is not applicable to the 10th edition. Article IV sounds like it's the 1915 no-longer-copyrighted edition of ROR, which is pretty badly out of date, and not RONR, which is reasonably new.

That was my thought at first, but Article IV in the 4th edition is on Incidental Motions, and Section 28 (which is in Article V) is on Lay on the Table. The cited sentence does appear in the 4th edition, but it's in Article IX, Section 51. I suspect that the text is some third-party knockoff, as such books often use the 4th edition as a starting point.

Archived