The Official RONR Q & A Forums

nominating committee - reconsideration of vote

Guest ag125

last night nominating committee voted 3-1-1 (three present votes for candidate 'a', 1 present vote for candidate 'b', and one vote by proxy for candidate 'c' -

to be posted by secretary of 'private' club today -

this am, the president of the club, upon result of election of candidate 'a', contacted all members of nominating board, convinced one present voter to change to candidate 'b' and proxy voter to change to candidate 'b' -

can candidate 'b' now be 'elected by this new 'reconsideration' vote -

btw, two present voters for candidate 'a' at last night's meeting both protest that the meeting was held, they did their job, and the nomination should stand -

opinions?

last night nominating committee voted 3-1-1 (three present votes for candidate 'a', 1 present vote for candidate 'b', and one vote by proxy for candidate 'c' -

to be posted by secretary of 'private' club today -

this am, the president of the club, upon result of election of candidate 'a', contacted all members of nominating board, convinced one present voter to change to candidate 'b' and proxy voter to change to candidate 'b' -

can candidate 'b' now be 'elected by this new 'reconsideration' vote -

btw, two present voters for candidate 'a' at last night's meeting both protest that the meeting was held, they did their job, and the nomination should stand -

opinions?

Votes take place in meetings. If the report of a majority of the committee was for candidate A., then nothing done individually outside of a meeting can change that. Do your bylaws allow proxy voting? If not, then that vote does not count.

this am, the president of the club, upon result of election of candidate 'a'

opinions?

The selection(s) of the nominating committee do not constitute an election. The committee nominated candidate a.

During nominations from the floor, members can nominate candidates b, c, d, e . . .

Then you have an election.

nominating committee presents a slate of candidate(s) to be voted by the club secretary only - one secretary - one vote -

time has passed to present a 'different' slate of candidate(s) -

new nomination was done individually, not in a meeting -

does this matter?

thanks for opinions in advance -

nominating committee presents a slate of candidate(s) to be voted by the club secretary only - one secretary - one vote -

time has passed to present a 'different' slate of candidate(s) -

new nomination was done individually, not in a meeting -

does this matter?

thanks for opinions in advance -

Yeah, something is wrong, you're missing the election. Somebody came by and swiped your democratic rights.

does this matter?

Yes. A body (e.g. a committee) can only act at a meeting of that body.

And I'll assume you've checked your bylaws when you say that the secretary casts one vote for the selections of the nominating committee. It's unusual (and not much of an election) but I suppose we've seen stranger bylaws here.

board of governor's will be 'blessing' the slate of candidates tonight -

the interesting thing will be who is on the 'slate' -

i believe the president may back off of the 2nd vote and try to have the board of governor's reject the slate and start over again - has never happened since 1901 - this will be interesting -

i'll let you all know - thanks for all input -

ag

so.....ladies and gentlemen -

after contacting all nine members of the board of governors and informing them of the ongoing shenanigans...

i received the call at 7:45 from the president that i was, in fact, the new vice-president -

my name was on the slate presented to the board as the vice-president - the club secretary did, however, make a motion at the meeting to 'reconsider' the vote of the nominating committee - the motion went nowhere with many speaking out against it, i'm told, and the secretary withdrew it -

thanks everyone for your advice and support - all's well that ends well and hopefully the club will be better after this -

ag

Archived