The Official RONR Q & A Forums

appointing a proxy

Guest R S Carpenter

Can the President appoint a proxy for an absent board member (to meet the requirement of a quorum to hold a board meeting) from the members of the association who are present at the board meeting but do not presently hold an office?

There's nothing legitimate about that, that I can see, and I've read it twice.

• 4 years later...

Can a board member appoint his/her own proxy from general membership?  Doing this without a vote from the governing board or general membership.

May I clarify, a board member moved and just picked a person from general membership to take her place on the board.  That cannot be done without nominations and a vote, correct?

Dale, in the future, please post your question as a new question even if it seems to fit in with an existing thread.  This thread is almost five years old. 

But, the answer to your question is no, a board member may not appoint anyone (especially not a non-board member) to serve as his proxy unless some provision in your bylaws authorizes it or state law requires it.  Otherwise, proxies are strictly prohibited by RONR.

And a board member may not name someone else to take his place on the board unless your bylaws authorize it.

Archived