The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Subcommittee Chair

csever82

Forgive me if I seem naïve, but I have just recently been appointed to the Board of a nonprofit organization and have a question.

I am, as a Board member, the chairperson of a committee. I would like to create a subcommittee with a chairperson who is geographically located in a place where she would be very effective (we are from all over the country). It seems to me that I would not need to bring this to a vote because I am the chair of the committee and can do with it what I feel is necessary. But others seem to think I need to make a motion. Which is true? Or is it something that would be specified in the bylaws?

Thanks!

"A committee (except a committee of the whole, 52) can appoint subcommittees, which are responsible to and report to the committee and not to the assembly. Subcommittees must consist of members of the committee, except when otherwise authorized by the society in cases where the committee is appointed to take action that requires the assistance of others." RONR, p. 480

You have no authority to do anything on your own as committee chair.

It seems to me that I would not need to bring this to a vote because I am the chair of the committee and can do with it what I feel is necessary. But others seem to think I need to make a motion.

Others are right, you are wrong. Chairman is not a synonym for Supreme Dictator.

Committees make decisions by voting. So not only do you need a motion, you need a majority.

Forgive me if I seem naïve, but I have just recently been appointed to the Board of a nonprofit organization

Congratulations.

and have a question.

Fire away.

It seems to me that I would not need to bring this to a vote because I am the chair of the committee and can do with it what I feel is necessary.

As the chair, you're not the head coach. You're not even the team captain. Believe it or not, you're the referee, responsible for enforcing the rules... not creating them.

But others seem to think I need to make a motion.

They're not your cheerleaders. They're your teammates.

The reason you have any say in the decisions of the committee is not because you're the chair; it's because you're a member, and you're no more or less a member than any of the other members. You're all equal in that regard.

Archived