The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Insubordination

Guest EleanorR

Our president uses the word insubordination threatening members and board members with disaplinary action, suspension, and expulsion. What constitutes insubordination? Diagareement with her? I always calmly preface my statements with "Madame President, I respectfuly disagree", but I strongly feel my days are numbered. I will not resign because she tells me to. I am very diligent in obeying the governing documents of the organization and RONR, but I have much to learn.

First thing you have to learn is "How to Live with a Dictator" ;-)

RONR doesn't define (or use) the term insubordination, so it is back to the dictionary.

I strongly doubt that your bylaws give the president any of the disciplinary powers she is (implicitly) claiming to have.

Keep up the good fight!

Our president uses the word insubordination threatening members and board members with disaplinary action, suspension, and expulsion. What constitutes insubordination? Diagareement with her? I always calmly preface my statements with "Madame President, I respectfuly disagree", but I strongly feel my days are numbered. I will not resign because she tells me to. I am very diligent in obeying the governing documents of the organization and RONR, but I have much to learn.

Check those governing documents to see if there are any god-like powers defined there for the president. Bet you a dollar you don't find any.

What constitutes insubordination?

Insubordination is defined as "not submitting to authority," but the President must be confused, as it is the assembly which has authority over the President, not the other way around.

Our president uses the word insubordination threatening members and board members with disaplinary action, suspension, and expulsion.

I think your President is the one who needs to be subjected to disciplinary action. See FAQ #20, elsewhere on this site.

I am going to share your comments with the rest of the board members. Hopefully it will reinforce what they should already know and give them the couarage to do the right thing. To answer your questions, she is polite in the meetings, but abusive to the weak in private confident they are too scared to fight back.

Thank you!

• 2 months later...

According to my training while in the military, "insubordination" is defined as a refusing to obey a direct command of a superior officer. However, that direct command must also be both lawful and conscienable. Otherwise, you run the risk of another "My Lai Massacre" or "GITMO." Refusal to obey an unlawful command cannot be prosecuted.

Your President is on a power trip and your steps to correct this problem are commendable, albeit solo. Keep the faith.

According to my training while in the military, "insubordination" is defined as a refusing to obey a direct command of a superior officer. However, that direct command must also be both lawful and conscienable. Otherwise, you run the risk of another "My Lai Massacre" or "GITMO." Refusal to obey an unlawful command cannot be prosecuted.

Your President is on a power trip and your steps to correct this problem are commendable, albeit solo. Keep the faith.

The term has application outside of the military, although that is certainly the arena in which the term is most commonly used. Although the dictionary definition is rather sparse, further research suggests you are correct that the term only applies if the command is legal and ethical. The most important fact here, however, is that the President is not the superior in this instance.

Archived