The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Amend

cgomez

Does anyone have any suggestions?

You don't need any special language, just state, clearly, what you propose to do. For example, "I move that the motion adopted on September 15, 1999, regarding smoking in the gazebo be amended by striking the word "permitted" and inserting the word "prohibited".

I apologize...I don't think I was very clear in what I was asking. We are looking to amend our current resolution. In the Precedence of Motions section of the resolution, it states:

When a question is before the City Council, no motion shall be entertained except: Here we list 6 different motions. We want to now add language here for a 7th motion, Motion to Amend. I am looking for sugguestions on language to put in our resolution regarding Motion to Amend.

I hope that helps clarify my question. Thank you!!! :)

I apologize...I don't think I was very clear in what I was asking. We are looking to amend our current resolution. In the Precedence of Motions section of the resolution, it states:

When a question is before the City Council, no motion shall be entertained except: Here we list 6 different motions. We want to now add language here for a 7th motion, Motion to Amend. I am looking for sugguestions on language to put in our resolution regarding Motion to Amend.

I am guessing that you mean Special Rules of Order. To amend them, you make a motion to add the wording that you want. It will then take the vote appropriate for your organization.

Why are you writing your own rules, when Robert's Rules of Order exists? You'll never do as good a job as that. Just adopt RONR as your parliamentary authority, throw away most of your special rules of order, and take the the weekend off.

Here's the language you need:

Article #

Parliamentary Authority

The rules contained in the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the Council in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws and any special rules of order the Council may adopt."

Why are you writing your own rules, when Robert's Rules of Order exists?

Well, the council may have adopted RONR as its parliamentary authority already and is simply adopting special rules of order to suit its own needs. Rules limiting what motions are in order are not unusual. Many conventions, for instance, will prohibit certain motions from RONR. Granted, I've never seen it taken to the extreme of limiting the assembly to six (or seven) motions while a motion is pending, but if that's what the Council wants to do, it can.

Well, the council may have adopted RONR as its parliamentary authority already and is simply adopting special rules of order to suit its own needs. Rules limiting what motions are in order are not unusual. Many conventions, for instance, will prohibit certain motions from RONR. Granted, I've never seen it taken to the extreme of limiting the assembly to six (or seven) motions while a motion is pending, but if that's what the Council wants to do, it can.

Yes, but somehow it sounded to me like cgomez was asking much more than simply how to add a motion to a list of allowed motions. It sounded like a question about what the wording of all the rules regarding the motion to Amend should be. And that's reinventing that round-lookin' whatsimajigger.

Yes, but somehow it sounded to me like cgomez was asking much more than simply how to add a motion to a list of allowed motions. It sounded like a question about what the wording of all the rules regarding the motion to Amend should be.

That was also my first impression but, after composing a reply, I re-read the question and saw it as Mr. Martin did. Only the original poster knows which is "right".

Yes, but somehow it sounded to me like cgomez was asking much more than simply how to add a motion to a list of allowed motions. It sounded like a question about what the wording of all the rules regarding the motion to Amend should be. And that's reinventing that round-lookin' whatsimajigger.

Fair enough. If your interpretation of the facts is correct (which may well be the case), then I do agree with your conclusions.

Archived