The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who can sign a board adopted resolution

Guest Josh

Once a board of trustees adopts a resolution, who can sign that resolution? I know the secretary can, but can other officers? trustees?

RONR requires no such signature (although the secretary will sign the minutes upon submission and initial them upon approval).

If you're talking about a "fancy" resolution that you intended to post on the wall or give to someone as an honor, the whole board should probably sign it, but at least the president and secretary. But that's purely cosmetic and not something RONR addresses.

Once a board of trustees adopts a resolution, who can sign that resolution? I know the secretary can, but can other officers? trustees?

Since resolutions are not signed under normal circumstances, then I must ask you about your circumstances.

What is going on?

Why does any resolution need a signature?

Why doesn't the text of the resolution go into the minutes, and be done with it?

Why have you created a separate document?

It is the duty of the President or Chairman "To authenticate by his or her signature, when necessary, all acts, orders, and proceedings of the assembly." (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 434, lines 31-32) It is the duty of the Secretary "To sign all certified copies of acts of the society, unless otherwise specified in the bylaws." (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 443, lines 5-6)

As noted, however, there is no requirement that all resolutions be signed.

Archived