The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Definition of Floor

ROBJAM

Our bylaws state that a motion may only come from the Floor. To me this means that the Chair or president can not make a motion. Does this include the secretary and treasure that are not sitting on the floor? Does the Chair refer to the officers or officials seated at the main table? or only the presiding officer allowing the secretary and treasurer to make motions?

We don't know what your bylaw means. RONR says "An office carries with it only the rights necessary for executing the duties of the office, and it does not deprive a member of the society of his rights as a member. " RONR, p. 432 That means all officers.

Your society will need to determine if your rule contradicts what is said in RONR.

Does this include the secretary and treasure that are not sitting on the floor?

No one should be sitting on the floor (even if, as RONR recommends, there's only one chair).

See "Obtaining and Assigning the Floor" on pp. 28-30.

The expression, "the chair", refers to the presiding officer. The expression, "the floor", does not refer to the floor. And "the table" does not refer to the table.

Ok I guess I need to clarify. RONR states along the lines that it is recommended that if the chair wants to make a motion he should give up his seat to a qualified person in order to make the motion and not resume his position until the matter at hand is resolved. What about the secretary and treasurer?

Nope. They can stay put.

Ok I guess I need to clarify. RONR states along the lines that it is recommended that if the chair wants to make a motion he should give up his seat to a qualified person in order to make the motion and not resume his position until the matter at hand is resolved. What about the secretary and treasurer?

Thanks. That's the way I was looking at it meaning it was only referring to the president.

Archived