The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Members and Travel Club

legervasi

I manager an over 55+ community where there are 5 Board members. One Board member has started a Travel Club, which is not endorsed by the Board. The issue is that he displays all his Travel brochures and information, which have his name all over it, at our clubhouse. In essence he is running the club from our clubhouse. Some members of the community believe this is a conflict of interest as people presume it is being offered through the Board and the Community. The other Board members are concerned this could have an impact on them should someone get injuried while participating in the Travel Club. Are there any sections of Roberts Rules which deal with this?

As a side note, members of the community are not allowed to display brochures for their home businesses such as Avon, etc. Thanks!

I manager an over 55+ community where there are 5 Board members. One Board member has started a Travel Club, which is not endorsed by the Board. The issue is that he displays all his Travel brochures and information, which have his name all over it, at our clubhouse. In essence he is running the club from our clubhouse. Some members of the community believe this is a conflict of interest as people presume it is being offered through the Board and the Community. The other Board members are concerned this could have an impact on them should someone get injur[]ed while participating in the Travel Club. Are there any sections of Roberts Rules which deal with this?

As a side note, members of the community are not allowed to display brochures for their home businesses such as Avon, etc. Thanks!

Then why is he?

I manager an over 55+ community where there are 5 Board members.

OK. So you are an employee of an organization, run by a board.

One Board member has started a Travel Club, which is not endorsed by the Board.

OK. But this is not an issue, as anyone could start up his own business without approval from his condo association's board.

Gee, I could start up a lemonade stand, or start up an art studio, and I wouldn't have to ask permission from anyone (other than the city and/or state).

The issue is

that he displays all his Travel brochures and information, which have his name all over it, at our clubhouse.

Ah-ha!

I think the technical term for such behavior is called "advertising." :rolleyes:

Beware! He may add business cards to the mix and really trigger rioting in the streets! ;)

In essence he is running the club from our clubhouse.

How do you tie one thing to the other?

(a.) "I manager an over 55+ community where there are 5 Board members."

(b.) "One Board member has started a Travel Club."

Q. How can you run (?) a senior citizen housing unit by way of acting as a travel agent for vacations?

Some members of the community believe this is a conflict of interest as people presume it is being offered through the Board and the Community.

What is the conflict?

Between WHAT and WHAT? Between WHO and WHOM?

The other Board members are concerned this could have an impact on them should someone get injuried while participating in the Travel Club.

Now I am really confused. :blink:

Q. How does one get "injured" (?) because "... he displays all his Travel brochures ..."?

I mean, did someone trip and fall over his business card??? :wacko:

Are there any sections of Roberts Rules which deal with this?

Thank god, no! :(

As a side note, members of the community are not allowed to display brochures for their home businesses such as Avon, etc.

Huh?

Q. If ...

"members of the community are not allowed to display brochures"

... and if he is ...

"displaying all his Travel brochures",

... then doesn't that mean that he is violating your own customized rule ...

... and not violating any parliamentary rule of Robert's Rules of Order?

Why are you letting him get away with it?

What are you going to do about it?

Why are you letting him slide?

Where is your board, sleeping through all this chaos and anarchy? :o

You are only a paid employee ("manager"), and you must await the board to take action IF ANY ACTION IS TO BE TAKEN AT ALL, which itself is questionable.

Are there any sections of Roberts Rules which deal with this?

The board could adopt a motion ordering the board member to halt these practices, and if that fails, initiate disciplinary action. See FAQ #20.

How do you tie one thing to the other?

(a.) "I manager an over 55+ community where there are 5 Board members."

(b.) "One Board member has started a Travel Club."

Q. How can you run (?) a senior citizen housing unit by way of acting as a travel agent for vacations?

I believe the poster means the board member is running the Travel Club from the community's clubhouse.

Now I am really confused. :blink:

Q. How does one get "injured" (?) because "... he displays all his Travel brochures ..."?

I mean, did someone trip and fall over his business card??? :wacko:

I think the poster means someone would be injured while traveling. The concern is that some may get the impression that the community is somehow involved with the Travel Club and that the board may be held liable.

What are you going to do about it?

I'm pretty sure that's why the poster is asking these questions.

EDIT: Fixed quote attribution.

Archived