The Official RONR Q & A Forums

officer voting

Guest Sandy

what exactly does this term mean: winning an election after being nominate... the votes were all if favor, no opposed. There term used was winning by ACL... what does this mean?

If your bylaws don't require a ballot vote, and if there is only one nominee for a particular office, the chair can declare that candidate elected "by acclamation". I don't think the the acronym (or abbreviation) "ACL" is in wide use. At least I don't recall ever seeing it on this forum.

More typically, ACL refers to the anterior cruciate ligament.

If the votes are all in favor, none opposed, you could, but probably shouldn't, refer to it as a unanimous vote.

what exactly does this term mean: winning an election after being nominate... the votes were all if favor, no opposed. There term used was winning by ACL... what does this mean?

Well, elections are choices between candidates; it's not correct to have a vote "in favor" or "opposed". The way you express your opposition, if any, is to vote for somebody else.

Whoever said that probably meant by acclamation, but I have never seen that abbreviation either, so he was probably only partially clue-ful.

Of course he might have meant that he won due to Anti Collision Lighting, or perhaps was elected by the Anti Communist League, or any of dozens of other possible meanings.

... but I have never seen that abbreviation either ...

Of course he might have meant that he won due to Anti Collision Lighting, or perhaps was elected by the Anti Communist League, or any of dozens of other possible meanings.

I think my favorites, so far, are:

• Adult Community Learning :)

• Austin City Limits B)

______________________________B)

• Auxiliary Cooling "Loop" _____ B) ___ B)

______________________________B)

Archived