The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of nominees..?

Guest CCC

My question is this: I have learned that certain nominees have been removed from the upcoming election. The nominees did not wish to withdraw, but were told that their names would not be included on the ballot, and this done in a private meeting between the president, VP, the area rep, and the nominees. The area rep, who is not a direct member of our chapter of the association, and the president decided together, outside the confines of normal association meeting(s), to have the nominees names withdrawn. Is this legal per Roberts' rules?

No. You might ask the perpetrators where they think they got the authority to do what they did.

Thank you, Mr. Mountcastle, for your answer. Might you, perchance, provide me with a section, paragraph, etc., that I might quote to verify my stand in the matter? I appreciate your time and patience.

Might you, perchance, provide me with a section, paragraph, etc., that I might quote to verify my stand in the matter?

How about the principle that nominations which occur INSIDE a proper meeting cannot be undone by a single individual, nor by a subset of individuals, OUTSIDE of a proper meeting?

Analogy:

• ... any more than an adopted motion can be undone outside of a meeting by an individual or a subset of individuals.

• Would you tolerate that same subset of people telling the organization "We un-did the election last night while the 3 of us were at Clarence's house"?

There is nothing in Robert's Rules of Order which authorizes a president and/or vice president to undo nominations (nor undo elections).

How about the principle that nominations which occur INSIDE a proper meeting cannot be undone by a single individual, nor by a subset of individuals, OUTSIDE of a proper meeting?

Analogy:

• ... any more than an adopted motion can be undone outside of a meeting by an individual or a subset of individuals.

• Would you tolerate that same subset of people telling the organization "We un-did the election last night while the 3 of us were at Clarence's house"?

There is nothing in Robert's Rules of Order which authorizes a president and/or vice president to undo nominations (nor undo elections).

Thank you, again, for your clarification. I continue to appreciate your time.

Thank you, again, for your clarification. I continue to appreciate your time.

If you think it would pass, and perhaps even if you don't, a motion to censure the president might help to underscore the severity of his breach of the rules, and afford an additional opportunity to debate it openly.

Archived